Can I put a muslin bag in the primary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatrocker

Reaction score
I recently did a couple recipes that called for me to make my own extract by heating oranges placed in muslin bag in a pot of water. When it was all done, the recipe called for me to put the muslin bag of oranges into the primary fermenter. I did it and was ridiculed by all my friends saying that the yeast will eat the bag and my beer will taste like a shirt.

Can you put a bag like that in the primary with no adverse effects? Wouldnt the oranges go bad? Are my friends right?

your friends aren't right, plenty of people use bags when dry hopping, using wood chips, etc. yeast eat sugar, not cloth

I may try this with my cranberry ale. This is my first attempt with the 5 gallon batch for this brew. In the past I would just dump like a pound of thawed cranberries in the 2g primary fermenter and that worked well, although I had some issue bottling with fruit skin getting through into the bottles. I was think about putting the berries in the muslin bag this time when I put in the primary fermenter. I just don't know if the cloth will get in my beer and if the cranberry flavor won't be as prevalent...? I don't know, will give it a try.

Back