Did i make my keggle look worse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seedubxj

Reaction score
Before and after. Still need to polish but I feel like the dents appear worse now. I knew she would never be a beauty queen, but I was hoping for better.

image-1622355629.jpg

image-2555663124.jpg

Also, in the after pic, the big long shadow in the middle is my reflection, not a dent.

With all the swirling, I actually can't pick out what's a dent vs what's a swirl. It really looks like you're about halfway to where you want to get. I bet once you get down to the actual polishing it'll make a huge difference...

Cheers!

Yeah. After a few hours my hands had enough. I'll pick up again tomorrow after work.

Looks like you'll have at least a few more days worth of work on it (assuming a couple/few hours a day) before it gets nice...

It took me about 8 hours to polish up my first keg to where I was ok with it. I spent a bit less on the second, getting a better shine on it (started with a better keg, and used less abrasive pads on it, more buffing though). I expect the next one to be a bit easier, depending on the base keg condition.

BTW, beauty may only be skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone... If you start with a really rough keg, unless you put a LOT of work into it, at some point you'll call it enough. Even if it's not where you would like it to be.

One thing I will mention to anyone looking to polish up a keg. Don't cut, or drill, it at all until you're done. It will make it much easier to both polish/buff and you'll have less to cleanup later (inside the holes where buffing compound will stick). I had my first keg already cut and drilled before I started polishing it. Second one didn't have any extra holes/cuts in it until I was finished polishing it up.

What did you use?

Go to Lowes and get some Gator Grit pads for your angle grinder. They look kinda like scotch brite pads (but round) and you use a rubber backing pad.

Medium Gator Grit,then Fine Gator Grit,then finish up with a felt pad on your grinder and use metal polish (available in stick form) in the tool department.

You can make that keg look like this...

402253_2979521612101_121635259_n.jpg

I'm using the gator grit fine right now. I just want to make it presentable. Not perfect. Id hate to have someone ask to see what I brew with and show them some rusted old keg. In the end, it'll do it's job, so not too hung up on it.

I'm using the gator grit fine right now. I just want to make it presentable. Not perfect. Id hate to have someone ask to see what I brew with and show them some rusted old keg. In the end, it'll do it's job, so not too hung up on it.

Then you'll hit your goal and don't worry about it...

I know this way out of left field but....

When I saw where you are from (Folsom) all I could think was that Johnny Cash would punch you in the left tit for asking if your brew kettle was shiny enough. :mug:

Ha! Fair enough. On a side note, we have a brewery up here called Lockdown. Their tag line is "Home of the Folsom Prison Brews".

I'm going to consider this a test run for the future. Hopefully I can find 3 kegs in much better shape. But the $20 I'm in this one I really can't complain. It's going to let me brew my first AG in a few weeks.

It's rustic! I like the beat to crap look. Like an old canteen

Who cares if its shiny or not? If it mashes/lauters/boils blahblahblah...it'll make beer.

Shiny keggle = awesome brew : plus one can admire themselves as a good-looking brewmaster/meistress whilst stirring ones tasty wort.

Not shiny keggle = awesome brew : plus if one is homely one wouldn't want to look at oneself whilst stirring wort, thus focusing ones efforts on even tastier beer.

So, this equation being placed, one would assume that we are all homely, as we (mostly) brew a decent beer. I place the following hypothesis: some of us possess a pleasing element to the eye. Some of us... mot so much. We all know we brew some damn fine beer, shiny keggle or not. :D

Both my kegs are at the same stage as yours, and that's where I've left them. I think the swirls look kind of cool. Plus, gator pads and polish is pretty darn expensive to do a good job.

Both my kegs are at the same stage as yours, and that's where I've left them. I think the swirls look kind of cool. Plus, gator pads and polish is pretty darn expensive to do a good job.

I haven't ever used gator pads but wetsand sheets are pretty cheap and you can get a cheap polish for around 3 dollars. That should do the job just as well, its only kegs its not car paint.

I know this way out of left field but....

When I saw where you are from (Folsom) all I could think was that Johnny Cash would punch you in the left tit for asking if your brew kettle was shiny enough. :mug:

Wow this is great. I agree.

Before this I was also tempted to say to say the keggle isn't that bad, but that dress DOES makes you look fat.

Keggle shinyness shouldn't be a brewers insecurity.

use an acid and a scotch brite - an example of an acid is vinegar. super cheap way to make a keg look shiny! you might have to soak it awhile somehow but acid does amazing things :)

Ok, 6 hours in and I've decided this turd doesn't need any more. Before and after below.

image-2356852261.jpg

image-1240155460.jpg

6 Frigging hours!!!!!!! Are you insane? 6 hours of polishing by hand and you ask does this look good enough. I mean 6 hours of that bs for a shiny keg, don't you have anything else better to do like dodge trains, rebuild a lawn mower, or maybe learn how to play cribbage?

You need to seek help.

friday said:
6 Frigging hours!!!!!!! Are you insane? 6 hours of polishing by hand and you ask does this look good enough. I mean 6 hours of that bs for a shiny keg, don't you have anything else better to do like dodge trains, rebuild a lawn mower, or maybe learn how to play cribbage?

You need to seek help.

Hey man, he took some Sudafed and a few of his wife's diet pills and the time flew by ok? ;)

Back