Good Food Bad Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasky7777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was recently reading an issue of BYO magazine talking about developments in hops and how in the near future we may have blueberry or chocolate flavoured hops. This got me thinking, what two flavours would you like to have in your hop arsenal, and which two flavours do you like to eat but would never try as a hop. For me:

To Try:
1) Apple
2) Licorice

Good Food/Bad Hop
1) Sauerkraut
2) Dill

I'd be keen on a minty hop or a more explicitly floral hop--like nasturtium or geranium.

On the never-never list: chocolate and banana.

I'd be keen on a minty hop or a more explicitly floral hop--like nasturtium or geranium.

On the never-never list: chocolate and banana.

That's interesting to hear since there are a few guys trying to replicate bananas foster right now, and I would think that a chocolate hop would be something interesting to try in a stout.

I'd rather have the chocolate added as chocolate, personally. And used in a beer with a polyspice hop--allspice, ginger, that sort of thing. Now THAT'S a stout I'd go through. Or a barleywine.

That's interesting to hear since there are a few guys trying to replicate bananas foster right now, and I would think that a chocolate hop would be something interesting to try in a stout.

Just because a few people have a really bad idea is no reason to come up with somethng even worse.

Back