Haier 7.1 cu ft freezer for $175 at Costco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scripts

Reaction score
Noticed that my Costco (East Wenatchee, WA) is selling 7.1 Haier chest freezers for $175 (hcm071lc). Would be worth checking out if you are in the market. They look pretty much like the GE 7.0's and have the exact same outside measurements. I'll snag a measurement of the inside next time I'm in (unless I give it a new home for a keezer project at which point pics will follow :ban:).

Scripts said:
Noticed that my Costco (East Wenatchee, WA) is selling 7.1 Haier chest freezers for $175 (hcm071lc). Would be worth checking out if you are in the market. They look pretty much like the GE 7.0's and have the exact same outside measurements. I'll snag a measurement of the inside next time I'm in (unless I give it a new home for a keezer project at which point pics will follow :ban:).

Seems like a good deal, $15 less than the GE. But, Sam's Club will deliver to your door for free!

I saw the HCM071LC as well. Do freezers always allow a warm enough temp for beer? I mean, I like my beer cold but not frozen. . . Costco will take it back, but it's a big thing to lug.

I saw the HCM071LC as well. Do freezers always allow a warm enough temp for beer? I mean, I like my beer cold but not frozen. . . Costco will take it back, but it's a big thing to lug.

You'll need to purchase a temperature controller. Ranco and Johnson are popular brands.

I was looking at those yesterday.

It looked like it will hold 4 ball locks in the bottom, and one or two on the hump.

Possibly the kegs on the bottom will fit without a collar.

Next time I go, I'll take a measuring tape and some 9" cardboard circles.

ETA: I went on over to Costco and measured it:

Haier 7.1 cf Chest Freezer
37"w x 23"d x 33"t

27" deep (bottom)
17.5" deep (hump)

3 kegs on bottom (no collar), 1 on hump (with collar). May fit 3 gallon on hump without collar.

Dang! I was really hopping to be able to fit four like the GE 7 cu. ft's. Thanks for postin' up the measurements though.

Here is what it looks like with 9" measuring circles:

CID_Photo-0017.jpg

Any chance I'd be able to fit a 6.5 gallon carboy and 2 corneys? From the looks of the picture I doubt it, but has anyone tried?

Anyone?

Any chance I'd be able to fit a 6.5 gallon carboy and 2 corneys? From the looks of the picture I doubt it, but has anyone tried?

Anyone?

I know this thread is old, but yes you can fit two corneys and a 6.5 fermentor in there with easy.

I was at Costco today and I actually brought four ball locks kegs into the store. I was able to get all four ball locks on the floor! It was tight, but certainly possible. Time for the bar project to start!

I was at Costco today and I actually brought four ball locks kegs into the store. I was able to get all four ball locks on the floor! It was tight, but certainly possible. Time for the bar project to start!
wow. i like the determination. how well has it worked. i am just about to start my first draft attempt myself, and am looking at the same freezer. i have 2 ball locks so far, and am looking to start with 4 and the 5#co2 on the shelf.

so all fits and works well?

wow. i like the determination. how well has it worked. i am just about to start my first draft attempt myself, and am looking at the same freezer. i have 2 ball locks so far, and am looking to start with 4 and the 5#co2 on the shelf.

so all fits and works well?

I'd spend a few bucks more for the sams club 7.0 for $195 if you can. It is a solid unit that holds 4 kegs and a 5#, and the lid shuts without any issues. It's like it was made for us. I bought a $40 membership for it and got a $10 gift card making the membership $30. Worth it to test out sc for a year.

Any other comments on this freezer? I saw it on sale for about $160 and was wondering if I could fit 4 ball locks and 2 5 lb co2 bottles? Well one co2 and one beer gas...

Also, will it fit with the disconnected in place comfortably?

mattylerockey,
I brought 4 ball lock kegs and a #5 c02 in the store and they all fit inside with the lid shut. I bought the freezer, but later returned it because I decided I am going to build a custom bar with a larger chest freezer (kenmore 8.8, which has the same depth as the Haier 7.1))since I would have the space for one under the bar.

Here is mine finished. It is a squeeze but 4 ball locks will fit on the floor. I have a #20 so it sits outside. Now I need another freezer for fermenting, anyone have any suggestions on a freezer that will fit two 6.5 on the floor?

6852528864_e75d8d7496_z.jpg

6852527904_116004c873_z.jpg

6998649965_e0a3f34de5_z.jpg

Just reporting that these are still sold by Costco for $175. They don't appear to be on the site, but most stores have them, I picked up one last night.

I just picked up one of these at Blaine's Farm and Fleet for $169.99 on sale till april 1st.

Just reporting that these are still sold by Costco for $175. They don't appear to be on the site, but most stores have them, I picked up one last night.

Just called the one here in town, same story, will be going out to look at it on Friday.

L brackets and Epoxy. The tray is Velcro'd to the brackets so I can take it off and dump and wash.

I can fit 4 5g ball locks and a 2.5g on the hump for mead/special small batches.

That looks great, Abarhan! How did you get your logo on the wood? It looks very clean. I really like the wood, too. What is it? :mug:

I had some vinyl die cuts made with the logo on it and just applied. Its a Oak with some dark cherry stain rubbed on.

I had a 6 gal better bottle (which is wider than my 6.5 gal carboy) and a 5 gal better bottle in mine and they fit easily

So I was able to fit 4 ball lock kegs and two 10 pound tanks in this with a 2x4 collar. 5 pound tanks would likely not need the collar. It was tight, but it works. :rockin:

-Space

2012-04-22 09.11.09.jpg

if you can fit 4 kegs without a collar, i should be able to fit 3 plus the 10pound tank right (3 plus the co2 tank where you have the 4th keg)?

if you can fit 4 kegs without a collar, i should be able to fit 3 plus the 10pound tank right (3 plus the co2 tank where you have the 4th keg)?

Pretty sure, but I will be happy to check when I get home. I have some work to do on the collar today anyways :)

-Space

Damn i didnt know there was a thread on this freezer. I have 3 of these things. 1 for food 1 for a keezer and one for a ferm chamber. I wish i would have went with ball lock kegs, i can only fit 3 pin locks. Picked them up during pamida sales for $150.

I use mine for ferm temp control as well. I have two 7.9 gallon plastic buckets. One goes on the hump, with some books or something to prop up one side since the hump isn't wide enough. But since I only have one freezer, I have to drink all my beer first to make room, which kinda sucks. Not that I don't like drinking all my beer . .

will i be able to get two 6.5 buckets and a single ball lock in there? no co2 or anything, just looking to have a nice controlled environment.

Here is the 7.1 with two 6.5g carboys this freezer is awesome it fits 4 kegs on the floor and 2 carboys. Homebrewers dream unit. I have two one for a keezer and one as a ferm chamber.

image-1457098303.jpg

Yup these things are great and still available, i picked one up last week from Costco for 175. Unfortunately i got it home and it wouldnt turn on, the power was there but the compressor never turned on. Thank god for Costco's easy return policy, other than having to repackage and hauling it back getting a new one only took a few seconds at the Customer service desk.

New one is functioning perfectly, just got my ebay temp controller yesterday so going to be trying to get that setup today. I didnt realize how cold these chest freezers got, i mean when set to 4(the middle setting) this thing gets to like -30F at the bottom of the freezer...ridiculous why do you need it that cold! You'd think that cold would be bad for food.

Agreed, for anyone considering these - I love mine. Turned it into a 3 corney keg keezer, with plenty of space for a 10lb CO2 tank and the hump is free for random 6 packs.

I just bought one of these today, and I can't wait for the keezer parts to arrive in the mail. It looks bigger in my home than I expected, but that's fine by me. :D

Tonight I'm kegging my first beer. It's a Sour Ginger Oatmeal Stout. I snuck a sample and the ginger isn't noticeable but it tastes delicious. Very excited.

Latest posts

Back