All-grain Equipment Decision

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbo

Reaction score
So I think it's time to move on in my homebrewing journey - up until now I've done only extract batches (partial boils on the stovetop in my 4 gallon pot). My friend's dad used to homebrew, and has a bunch of equipment laying around that he would sell me. He has everything needed to make 10-15 gallon all-grain batches. Just off the top of his head, he listed:

a grinding mill which he said cost $120
several carboys
propane burner (tank not included)
2 converted kegs (I think one is the MLT, the other is for boiling)
wort chiller
capper
a bunch of other odds and ends

He said he'd take $200 for everything, which sounds like a really good deal. When I get the chance, I'll head to his house and take a look at everything (they live 3 hours away).

In the mean-time, I'm trying to decide if I want to do this, or make my own set-up. I've seen the DIY 10 gallon MLTs from FlyGuy that can be made for approx. $70 each. I think I can get by with just one of these??? Plus, I'd need a bigger brewpot ($50-75 for something decent?). Of course I'd need a burner (probably $40 for a cheap one). I'm sure I'd need some other stuff as well. So it looks like I'd be spending AT LEAST $160 to build my own, probably more, and that would only be good for 5 gallon batches or some 10 gallon batches (FlyGuy said that his MLT could accomodate 10 gallon batches under 1.060 OG).

So it doesn't look like I'd be saving much (if any) by making my own setup. Does everyone agree? I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation from people who've been doing this a lot longer than me that
a) this is a good deal and
b) although this is overkill for what I really need to go all-grain (I could just do 5-gallon batches and still be happy), it wouldn't save me any money to get my AG equipment elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Bob

Even with the stuff he's selling, there is PLENTY of room to customize it the way you want. Doesn't sound like there are any stands or anything.

That's a good deal - I'd probably jump on it if I were you.

For $200, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I agree w/ rdwj, plenty of ways you can continue to customize your brewery the way you want it.

Back