To autotune or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman67

Reaction score
Im using the Auber syl 2352 with a 5500 watt element in a keggle with TC and am wondering if the autotune function is sufficient/optimal for setup or are people setting up there own parameters

Quick question, how long does the auto tune run, and does it stop itself? I tried to run my pid in auto tune while I was checking my system to make sure everything is water tight and set correct and it just kept blinking and never stopped. Is that correct?

Quick question, how long does the auto tune run, and does it stop itself? I tried to run my pid in auto tune while I was checking my system to make sure everything is water tight and set correct and it just kept blinking and never stopped. Is that correct?

IIRC, the autotune may take some time to run. Manual says 2-3 on/off cycles then the microprocessor determines the correct parameters. I'm pretty sure the blinking stops when it's complete. To manually exit, hold down the A/M key until the light stops blinking. This is the Auberins PID.

IIRC, the autotune may take some time to run. Manual says 2-3 on/off cycles then the microprocessor determines the correct parameters. I'm pretty sure the blinking stops when it's complete. To manually exit, hold down the A/M key until the light stops blinking. This is the Auberins PID.

Mine took a long time to autotune, probably like 45 mins before it finished.

Thanks guys. Reelale, I didn't read the entire manual, would make sense too though :). I was more amazed that when I plugged everything in yesterday, my control panel worked, my element worked and I didn't blow up my house.:ban:

Do you guys suggest letting it run through the entire process before brewing with it? Like on a test run? Or could the first brew set the auto tune?

I am itching to brew on my new rig.

Thanks guys. Reelale, I didn't read the entire manual, would make sense too though :). I was more amazed that when I plugged everything in yesterday, my control panel worked, my element worked and I didn't blow up my house.:ban:

Do you guys suggest letting it run through the entire process before brewing with it? Like on a test run? Or could the first brew set the auto tune?

I am itching to brew on my new rig.

I did a dry-run with water ( I know, I know...) before I brewed the first time. Everything on the real brew was just like the test. Works fine.

I started the autotune the other day but my ventilation system was not up and running and the whole cellar started to fill up with steam and I had to abort. I didnt know that it was going to get up to boil on autotune Live and learn

I auto-tuned my PID and the results sucked. It would WAY overshoot after a big ramp up in temp was called for. I had to manually go in and tweak the parameters to get that under better control.

I auto-tuned my PID and the results sucked. It would WAY overshoot after a big ramp up in temp was called for. I had to manually go in and tweak the parameters to get that under better control.

You didn't do it right :D

I used to get overshoot until I autotuned. It never does that now. Just write down the P-I-D variables and run it. If you don't like the results, go back.

I had to google it. And still didn't get the joke.:eek:

Good grief, autotune is what ALL rappers/pop stars filter their voice through, in order to make it acceptable to human ears.

See, it even makes a crying baby sound good.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that is what you meant but you spelled kanye, kayne so I was confused. I forgive your spelling as I see you are from Tenn.:cross:

WoW, that is funny, and I am going to Tenn. at the end of next week. I think I may know your sister...

Back