when to add flavorings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
I have one batch in secondary, and two finishing primary. I wanted to add some flavorings. I picked up some liquid flavors from my lhbs. Was I supposed to add those to primary, secondary, or at bottling?

Also, I have spices, vanilla beans, oak chips. When to add these?

Secondary. you could also try bottling, but all the fruit and spice additions I have done in secondary.

Key is not to overdue it, its hard to remove flavors if you add to much...Slowly pull off a little at a time and adjust it on the taste you prefer.

If you add it at flameout or beginning of primary allot if not all of the flavors will be lost during fermentation. At the earliest I'd say end of primary and at the latest bottling...Unless its something like honey or pumpkin. But its really up to you whether you want a subtle flavor or an upfront one.

Secondary, I find anything added in the primary usually loses it's flavour after fermentation.

I would say to add your flavoring just before you bottle and before you add tour fermentable sugar. The less you play with your cider before bottling, the better.

Also, your cider will change a little in secondary and the yeast will fall to the bottom of the carboy giving you a more accurate idea of the final taste making it easy to adjust the flavor according to taste.

Back