pitched 37 starter into 57 primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
Well, my first ever beer is in the primary. I pitched my starter straight out of the fridge(37F) into the primary after cooling it down to 57F. I was aiming for 60F on the primary for pitching, but figured 3 degrees was acceptable. This morning I checked the ferm. cooler and the temp in there was still around 58 and there was no action on the airlock. Will the yeast get cranked up as the temp moves into the 60's?

i made an amber ale with wyeast 1332.

just looked at wyeast's site and saw that the 1332 yeast has a range of 65-75. do you think there will be any negative effects from pitching at sub-60 temp or will the yeast just remain dormant until they reach a happy temp?

The yeast will just be dormant until they reach a happy temp... remember, it can take up to 72 hours to see any signs...

+1; I pitched a somewhat high temp yeast starter - W3068 - from the fridge to 70 degree wort yesterday; it is doing fine today. As they say, Relax, don't worry, and have . . . .

thx. that's good to know. it's funny how you do so much research, but when you finally get to your first brew day, that's when you really see what all is involved. for instance, after I pitched I realized that I never took a gravity reading. live and learn I guess.

thx. that's good to know. it's funny how you do so much research, but when you finally get to your first brew day, that's when you really see what all is involved. for instance, after I pitched I realized that I never took a gravity reading. live and learn I guess.

. . . and this was my sixth brew, and you know what? I forgot to take a gravity reading until after I had areated the wort and pitched the yeast! Had to let it sit for 30 min to settle out all the bubbles that were sticking to the hydrometer. ..

Back