is it necessiary to lager with california / san fransico lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
If you use either wyest california lager or white labs san francisco lager do you have to lager at cold temps since it is similar to ale yeast? if so how long? what if i just let it sit in secondary for 1 month?

San Fran you do not need to lager. I brewed my Pils with San Fran and it came out very clear and tasty all with it being at room temp.

I "bottle lager". It won't have the same effect, but it does make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I can usually fit an extra case of beer in my fridge and lager once it's bottled. I doubt it does anything.

i emailed both wyeast and white labs with this question. So far here is the response from white labs
"The WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast will give you lager characteristics even when fermented at warmer temperatures than traditional lager yeast strains. Because of this, it doesn't need the long lager times normally associated with that style of beer. Keeping the beer at 65F during it's entire fermentation/conditioning will produce a great beer. Lagering the beer cold (below 50F) will most likely cause the yeast to go dormant, but will help clarify and condition the beer, just like it would with most other beer styles so there's certainly no harm in doing that if you wish."

Latest posts

Back