Willamette Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they were good enough for anheiser busch to use about 85% of the US crop for their beers :)

In our world of beer they are more typically used for aroma hops but that is not set in stone. Do whatever you want, I won't tell.

Are these good hops for the bittering 60 minute addition?

Of what? Willamette are derived from English Fuggles and are similar in flavor so they would certainly work in almost any UK style ale. They are mellow and can be blended into many other styles as well.

I'm going to brew an American Brown Ale...I'm thinking Williamette at 60 and at 10 with cascade at 30, 15, and 5. Thoughts? Any other hop I should consider?

I'm going to brew an American Brown Ale...I'm thinking Williamette at 60 and at 10 with cascade at 30, 15, and 5. Thoughts? Any other hop I should consider?

That will work but you're wasting the Willamette IMO by following them with Cascades. I would suggest just using more Cascades for bittering or a neutrally flavored higher alpha hop like Northern Brewer or Magnum. :mug:

That will work but you're wasting the Willamette IMO by following them with Cascades. I would suggest just using more Cascades for bittering or a neutrally flavored higher alpha hop like Northern Brewer or Magnum. :mug:

Sorry still pretty much a noob, especially with different hops. Why is it wasting? Since the cascades are higher AA would it just over power....Also, if I bitter with cascade would that make it to citrusty?

Sorry still pretty much a noob, especially with different hops. Why is it wasting? Since the cascades are higher AA would it just over power....Also, if I bitter with cascade would that make it to citrusty?

The Cascades are more strongly flavored than Willamette and are a totally different flavor profile. While any hop can be used for bittering a modestly bitter hop like Willamette, which is known for its' flavor & aroma, is wasted IMO when a later addition of a more aggressive hop covers up its' better qualities. It's the equivalent of putting ketchup on a nice steak or mixing good whiskey with Coca Cola. You are better off using a neutral hop for bittering or one that compliments the flavor hop(s).

Back