Apricot Wheat IPA Dry Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Here is a brew that is currently in my primary

10# two row
2 # malted wheat
9 oz Cara Amber
1 oz am choco
1 oz roasted barley

1/2 oz chinook 60 minutes
1/2 oz chinook 45 minutes
1 oz cascade 30 minutes
1 oz cascade 15 minutes
1 oz liberty at flameout

Estimated OG 1.065 actual OG 1.063...not bad

Anyways, now I am going to move this to secondary and rack unto 5# pureed apricots....I know this is going to cause a small secondary fermentation.

I want to dry hop with 1 oz cascade but I am wondering if I should wait to add the dry hop until the second apricot derrived fermentation is complete, or just add them right away and let them do there thing.

Also, with all the late hop additions, I am wondering if a dry hop is even necassary?

Anyways, now I am going to move this to secondary and rack unto 5# pureed apricots....I know this is going to cause a small secondary fermentation.

I want to dry hop with 1 oz cascade but I am wondering if I should wait to add the dry hop until the second apricot derrived fermentation is complete, or just add them right away and let them do there thing.

Yes. Wait until fruit fermentation is complete.

Also, with all the late hop additions, I am wondering if a dry hop is even necassary?

Most fruit beers don't have much in the way of late hop additions / dry hopping. I find that the hops usually overpower the fruit flavor if over done, so if it was me personally, I'd skip the dry hop.

Back