E keggle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point. I will bust out the multi meter next time im brewing. There is no PID, its just switched by a SPDT switch. Im glad i wired in the lights, otherwise i would have never known.

Update, Still not done building this rig but its operational. My funds got diverted to racing for the season. Plans are still to upgrade to the larger enclosure, install HERMS, and go automated.

Still having issues with sticking SSR's. Dam sure its because there cheap made in china knockoffs. Its only once they warm up a bit. The relays came with heat sinks and im going to put thermal pase on the mounting point and see if that helps. I checked yesterday and verified that the SSR control side does turn off when its stuck on. Even the LED indicator turns off.

I actually melted down a SSR last brew. I replaced it with one off the 3500w circuit and still no bueno.

I wish i had a taller celing in my garage so i could have everything gravity fed. Right now i need to pump from my mash tun to boil kettle but besides that everything is automated.

So far permantly mounting the kettle and HLT seems to work fine. The HLT gets drained and the boil kettle gets cleand up in place using the bottom drain. I currently remove the mash tun but plan to install a dump mechanisim.

Hopefully this fall i can swap over to the larger enclosure and solve this sticky relay issue. I also still need to install all my safety float switches and start the automation.

Race season is over so now its back to brewing. I think i found what valves i will be using,

https://www.oscsys.com/store/valves

The 3 way valve would be tits for recirculation then switching to fill the BK.

I really need to get started on the recirc so one of the first things on my list is a 25' x 1/2" SS for the HERMS coil and some fittings.

I rounded up all the parts for herms. I made a batch of oatmeal honey porter today and HERMS worked great. I really need input/output probes on the mash tun. Lesson learned don't bend a herms tube after half a bottle of vodka. I kinked the tube in a few spots. Wasted or not bending SS tube is no easy task. Next time i will just find a supplier who can custom bend to a 12" OD spiral. The good thing is i never have to look at the coils.

I wired in the new 40A relays previously and they work great, no sticking!

I went and bought a 2nd chugger pump for the HERMS. Thats now mounted off my tri clover fitting with a 3 way valve off the end of it. I was thinking i could swap from HERMS to filling the boil kettle with ease. Now i realize i can't regulate flow out the pump. When i try to slow the flow it redirects the flow out the other port. This is causing the wort to recirculate too fast. I was able to bandaid it today with about 1.5lb rice hulls and a tight zip tie on the pump output to HERMS. So i may be buying two regular valves to replace the 3 way.

I mig welded the fittings for the herms. I think i got it down, keep the stick out real short, like 1/8" to get the weld started then keep it around 1/4" I kept getting horrible sputtering and no penetration on start if i had any more stick out than 1/4". I welded with tri mix on the welder and argon co2 back purge with a cracked open tank hooked to some 1/2" silicone tube. It worked well from what i can tell. Came out much better than my first welded keggle. I made sure to only weld 1/2" at a time so the bung didn't get distorted.

Hopefully i can finish mounting the kegs and get the boil kettle mounted as well. Having it resting on the random 2x4s and 4x4 is sketchy. So far the wall mounts are working great. I hope to install a dump bracket soon for the mash tun but for now my removable slotted holes work well. Cleaning the BK in place is no problem at all either. I plan to wall mount the BK below the mash tun, so i wont even need a step stool to clean it.

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

Well i now know its not my own fault the SSR's are sticking. Seems these 40A models off amazon are junk. 1/2 of the reviews claim the same issue when putting a 20+ amp load on it at 100%.

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Single-...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Looks to me like another one selling stuff he don't understand. The heat sink shown in the picture is under sized for 40 Amps unless you use forced air cooling. Even 20 Amps would make the heat sink very hot without cooling.

Thanks! I cant wait to round up the loot for the BCS and automation components and make it all worth it.

I have real bad luck with SSR's It seems after the amazon junk Amico SSR's I was sent a DOA SSR from Electric brewery. Luckily they sent me a new SSR for free and thats working perfectly now.

I finally mounted the boil kettle and it works great where its at. Real easy to monitor. Then when im done i just pump it up and out the CFC. The last half gallon or so i top off the kettle with fresh water to flush out all the wort in the pump, hoses, and CFC into the fermenter.

I removed the three way valve off the MT and installed a X fitting with a thermometer, Herms pump, and bottom valve that drains to the BK. Not really loving how my pump is hanging off the MT, i really need to wall mount it but i ran out of silicone hose.

IMG_20131022_164046_489.jpg

Purchased an amazon mypin PID for the HLT. The up function button was non op on arrival. I returned it and ordered an auber SSR PID. Don't waste time with the cheap amazon PID's the instructions go as far as wiring and good luck from there. Amazon electronics sure have given me a dam headache on this build, faulty SSRS and now this.

I had to take apart my BK>chiller chugger pump the other day. There was a buildup of ferrous particles between the magnetic drive and inside of the ss plate that goes over it, they were stuck to the drive magnet in strips. The pump was not starting up without turning it on and off a bunch of times. I put a light coating of food grade silicone on the pump shaft to help lube that too. Seems to work fine now.

Pid is now wired in using the new box. Low alarm is set up to control the hlt 5500w till 150F and the relay output controls the 3500w to maintain temp.

IMG_20131202_213958_248.jpg

Slight change of plans. I realized after the fact that i mounted my elements on the wrong side of the kegs. The wires not only hang over the MT but they have to loop around both BK and HLT. However this seems to work to my benefit. I plan to move everything to the corner in my garage 6 feet left and on the opposite side of the breaker box and outlets. This should not only fix my wiring issue but also save space for my other hobbies and only dirty the corner right near the garage door.. aka my clean up drain. I also plan to install a sheet or two of FRP (plastic panels) from home depot to waterproof the corner.

On the backburner is plans to use two 55 gal rain barrels i have as cooling water. Inspired by a method i saw on moonshiners by the industrial still. Crap show but every once in a while there is some jem info. A cheap high vol sump pump and plumbing attaching the two drums should do it.

Why the two elements vs just using the 5500w element with a $25 manual mode capable pid? I've have great success controlling and dialing the boil right in where I want it.
Guess I just got lucky with all three of my "cheap" pids and ssrs..... no issues so far. And I have one 25 and one 40 amp one.. with heat sinks and thermal grease though.
Very strange yours overheated when you weren't even: using them as intended.... they are designed to be able to switch on and off really fast by a pid which wold make them run hotter than just on 100% controlled by a knob unless I'm missing something? It does see like something else could be the culprit.

Why the two elements vs just using the 5500w element with a $25 manual mode capable pid? I've have great success controlling and dialing the boil right in where I want it.
Guess I just got lucky with all three of my "cheap" pids and ssrs..... no issues so far. And I have one 25 and one 40 amp one.. with heat sinks and thermal grease though.
Very strange yours overheated when you weren't even: using them as intended.... they are designed to be able to switch on and off really fast by a pid which wold make them run hotter than just on 100% controlled by a knob unless I'm missing something? It does see like something else could be the culprit.

Because 9000W>5500W faster ramping. I had heat sinks and thermal grease, it was just faulty relays. I purchased relays from a reputable source and haven't had any issues since.

Starting to re arrange the brewery. Leveled out the corner to drain water out the garage door better.

IMG_20140506_224347_599.jpg

Race season is over, i now have some time to finish the brewery. I just got my second auberins PID in the mail yesterday for the BK. Ill be removing the 3500w element from the BK and just using a 5500w on a PID with an alarm for manual control near boil. The 3500w just had too much heat density for boiling high gravity beers. The HLT will stay with both elements to help temp ramping speed. I plan to move the brewery this fall and polish up the kegs a bit too.

BK pid is wired in minus the probe that's in the mail. I plan to get an alarm now for switching to manual nearing boil. Going to start polishing the mash tun tomorrow.

IMG_20140912_225444_699.jpg

Hit up the MT with a flap wheel today. Need to buy some finer grit flap wheels and sandpaper to get a better shine. Goo gone aka lemon or orange terpenes worked perfectly for removing sticker glue.

I picked up eight 6' lengths of 14 ga stranded wire in different colors to wire up my bigger box. Should make wiring a breeze.

IMG_20140913_195309_927.jpg

Making minor changes to the system. Got some line loc for the Herm's recirc. Also finally got some nice 13" glass lids to keep dust out between brews. BCS controller is the only item on my xmas list :)

IMG_20141205_161557_305.jpg

IMG_20141205_161711_650.jpg

I'm also adding a temp probe to monitor the Herm's coil output temp. I'll control the hlt temp off the coil output vs hlt water temp. I'll use one of my selector switches to swap probes for recirculation vs buying a third pid.

I realized just using the hlt temp probe for recirculation can easily overshoot temps and is not as precice. Especially when ramping up mash temps.

Im also working on changing my plumbing to allow HLT recirculation using my second pump. This should reduce temp stratification and increase heat transfer between the coils.

Minor upgrade in the works, Ill be installing camlocks inside the kettle for the recirculation arm i just installed. Im also getting a brew bag to line my MT with, which should help with cleanup and aid filtering and recirculation.

Im also headed to TX so the whole system is getting torn down and rebuilt at a new location, possibly on a brew stand. Perfect opportunity to re wire everything into the larger enclosure.

Minor upgrade in the works, Ill be installing camlocks inside the kettle for the recirculation arm i just installed. Im also getting a brew bag to line my MT with, which should help with cleanup and aid filtering and recirculation.

Im also headed to TX so the whole system is getting torn down and rebuilt at a new location, possibly on a brew stand. Perfect opportunity to re wire everything into the larger enclosure.

What part of Texas are you landing in? I'm near the Dallas-Fort Worth area and there is a GREAT homebrew club in Fort Worth that I'm a part of...

I have a cam lock installed inside my mash tun for the recirc hose. I really like it! easy to get it out of the way for clean up.

El Paso sadly, Fort Bliss. Its a shame since we have a ton of friends in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as well, but uncle sam has other plans for me.

Ricurculation arm is complete. I now have a temp probe monitoring the HERMS temp before it flows into the MT.

IMG_20150112_215741_969.jpg

Its called loc-line. I got it off amazon. I went with two nozzle kits and one hose assembly kit, ran about $50. In hindsight two lengths of nozzles barely get put to use, all the flow comes out the first seven or so holes. I feel a better format for even flow would be alternate between an orange nozzle section and one or two sections of solid blue, spreading our the flow better. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065UDB0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back