What size Conical and what features do you like/want?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size(s) would you buy

• 6.5 to 7 gallon

• 13 to 14.5 gallon

Results are only viewable after voting.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
If one were designing the ultimate conical fermenter, what options and requirements would you like to see on it?
Dump valve size?
Product valve size?
blowoff
gas port
polished inside and out?

Dump valve size?

1" or greater.

Product valve size?

1/2"

blowoff

Yes.

gas port

Used to care. Not sure if I do anymore. Gravity is your friend.

polished inside and out

Unnecessary as long as there are no visible scratches.

Also, I'd want it to be jacketed for liquid cooling.

I have no experience with these other than gazing longingly at them on the Blichmann site-so not sure about some of the options. However, they look like the way to go. I'd really like to move to 10 gallon batches, though, so that's my determining factor in my vote.

I'd have to pair my purchase with one of their 15 gallon brewpots - with thermometer and spigot, of course.

Must be able to carbonate beer within the conical. Major requirement for me.

Sight tube as well. Not sure about the rest. EDIT: I'd forgo the sight tube for the above.

15g min. I wouldn't mind a few of those. And maybe a 27g

I've seen that 42 gallon - and just can't imagine HOW I'd make enough wort to use that thing. The scale of it is so huge.

Really - for me, I just want to make my 5 gallon batches - and vary the beer I make each time. I've got a 30 gallon total capacity - so it's not like I'm short of beer...LOL

I love the Blichmann ones but I have always wondered why they don't have a thermometer on them. It should at least be an option.

I voted for the 13-14.5 because I am collecting the equipment to go all grain 10 gal batches and I would like to not have to split them to ferment. I am not too familiar with the different options (valve sizes.) Guess I would have to do some research before I lay mah money down.

:off: Anybody have a good method for a lower budget 13-14.5 gal fermenter?

I went 13-14.5 because although I mostly do 5.5g batches, a few times a year I like to do 10g batches. In a 14.5g fermenter, the co2 from the initial fermentation of a 5g batch should purge the head space... right?

Yuri_Rage said:
Dump valve size?

1" or greater.

Product valve size?

1/2"

blowoff

Yes.

gas port

Used to care. Not sure if I do anymore. Gravity is your friend.

polished inside and out

Unnecessary as long as there are no visible scratches.

Also, I'd want it to be jacketed for liquid cooling.

Yuri read my mind.

I recently bought a MiniBrew 6.5gal fermentor. You can find them on eBay for under $150.

It's not stainless steel, but then again nether is my back. I've really enjoyed it, works well, cleans up easy, is lighter than a glass carboy, and you can dump trub so no need for a secondary.

The way I've got everything organized, I can go from the brewpot/chiller, to the fermentor, to the keg, and never have to touch open air. Everything connects via 1/2" stainless quick connects, except to the keg where the 1/2" connection gets converted to a 1/4" for the ball-lock on the OUT side of the cornie.

Since I've started brewing my back has progressively degraded, so my whole operation revolves around not lifting 5 gallons of beer any more than absolutely possible.

So far so good! :mug:

I vote 42 gallon. I would want the ability to hold up to higher psi (like 50 to be sure about everything) and would also want a self cooling system for the fermenter. I would want a 1" dump valve that stayed open most of the time, with a yeast collection reservoir on the bottom to constantly collect trub and sediment as it fell. I wouldn't want a racking arm on mine, but a testing valve in the side would be really nice. Since it would be self cooling, it would already have a temperature probe in it (of course). I would like a port in the top for blow-off/adding additional beer if kraeusening/adjustable pressure relief/transferring under pressure/etc... Oh, and some sort of built in vibration device that would slowly knock all the sediment clinging to the walls to fall out. This is my dream fermenter anyways :D. I like the bigger size and if I had this fermenter I would definitely have to step up my brewery to match. You can't have to much beer!!

I went with the 13-15 and the 27 gallon. I was thinking about the 20+ gallon conicals the other day, wondering what kind of rig someone would need to actually fill them, then I realized, you could just make the same recipe 2x in a 10 gallon system. Brew, pitch, brew, add more wort. Take a weekend and make yourself 20 gallons of beer! :cross:

RegionalChaos said:
I went with the 13-15 and the 27 gallon. I was thinking about the 20+ gallon conicals the other day, wondering what kind of rig someone would need to actually fill them, then I realized, you could just make the same recipe 2x in a 10 gallon system. Brew, pitch, brew, add more wort. Take a weekend and make yourself 20 gallons of beer! :cross:

Blended patches, just like the big guys!

Size:

Twin 7 gallon.

Feature:

Full dress. (Racking, dump, blowoff, pressurizable, heated and chilled)

And the most important feature..........

Clearance pricing at 75% off MSRP.

still have to try out my new 22 gallon conical. i bought the keg, just have to convert it. haven't used the options that yuri sent with it yet, so don't have an opinion. can't wait tho :D

voted 14.5

I have a blichmann one and it is the best.

no kidding, i can make 14 gallons of wort, boil it down to around 11-12 depending on ambiant temp outside, toss it all in. perfect. Harvest yeast no problem.

easy to keg up two cornies and with carb tabs bottle up the rest on 22oz bombers. If i would have had the boiling kettle i would have gotten the larger 27 gallon one:rockin:

I really think it depends on what your normal batch size is. I have a 15 gallon minibrew that I really like. But I've gone back to using carboys and brewing 5.5 gallon batches. It allows me to experiment more and not end up with two cornies of something I don't like. I still do the occasional 11 gallon batch, but only on proven recipes that I know will store well and be consumed quickly.

If I could pick up a couple of cheap 7 gallon ones, I would.

If one were designing the ultimate conical fermenter, what options and requirements would you like to see on it?

Cheap, but well made. No need for BLING.
This'd let the average keggle Homebrewer put their extra capacity to good use and get to making 10gallon batches without multiple fermenters.

Cooling options with Thermometer input (bonus points for integrated temp controller for custom cooling solutions)

Plastic, Stainless Steel, whatever. It's not much use to me if I can't afford it.

Dump valve size?
3/4"
Product valve size?
1/2"

blowoff?
Yes

gas port?
No, but if you are wanting to have the Uber-Deluxe version sure

polished inside and out?
Don't care

I am one lucky SOB.......a neighbor had a stainless cone-shaped vessel that was the "cyclone" from the top of an industrial dust collection system. I bought it from him for $20.

I cut out the top, cleaned and polished like a madman, fashioned a bottom dump valve from a plastic cutting board, some sheet silicone, and a PVC ball valve.

I made a stand from the steel circles left over from some old satellite dishes and some angle iron, and a top lid out of 1/4 inch plexiglass left over from work.

I just bought a racking arm from Austin homebrew Supply, will install it soon. My entire investment for a conical that holds about 17 gallons is less than $100.

Jim Karr said:
I am one lucky SOB.......a neighbor had a stainless cone-shaped vessel that was the "cyclone" from the top of an industrial dust collection system. I bought it from him for $20.

I cut out the top, cleaned and polished like a madman, fashioned a bottom dump valve from a plastic cutting board, some sheet silicone, and a PVC ball valve.

I made a stand from the steel circles left over from some old satellite dishes and some angle iron, and a top lid out of 1/4 inch plexiglass left over from work.

I just bought a racking arm from Austin homebrew Supply, will install it soon. My entire investment for a conical that holds about 17 gallons is less than $100.

We want to see pics!!

Back