Lemon Trick??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris786

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I made a batch of cider and I used an Apple Raspberry juice. Now the front of the bottle said "Truvia" on it but the ingredients list didn't seem to have any artificial sweeteners in it so I gave it a shot. Well this also happened to be my first batch using yeast nutrient. Now I have rocket fuel with a 22% ABV and a diet coke aftertaste. I don't want to pour it and a friend suggested I try some lemon juice in it to cut the artificial sweetener aftertaste.

Has anyone tried this before? I mean adding lemon juice to cider. Any other suggestions on how to save this batch? It's only one gallon but the juice we use is $8.50 a gallon and it just galls me to throw out a gallon of cider!

Im seriously doubting your cider is at 22% ABV. Most wine yeasts only go to 15%, and only a few go to 18% (with lots of attention and great conditions). Distiller yeasts go to 20% or so.. But they taste pretty nasty.

I add citric acid to wines for taste, some folks use lemons to do the same thing. You, however, need to recheck your hydrometer.

I believe Truvia is a proprietary blend of table sugar and the natural sweetener Stevia, which has a similar taste to real licorice. So the artificial sweetener taste is mosty likely a natural sweetener taste, but that probably won't make it taste any better to you. I use stevia in tea, but it is one of those tastes that does not go well with a lot of things.

Truvia is made up of three things ; Erythritol: A sugar alcohol which is made by processing genetically modified corn, Rebiana: which is derived from the stevia plant and "natural flavors what ever they may be.
So im not sure how this will have effected the ABV

Im seriously doubting your cider is at 22% ABV. Most wine yeasts only go to 15%, and only a few go to 18% (with lots of attention and great conditions). Distiller yeasts go to 20% or so.. But they taste pretty nasty.

I add citric acid to wines for taste, some folks use lemons to do the same thing. You, however, need to recheck your hydrometer.

Believe it or not it is a 22%. Trust me we double checked THAT number! My husband did a batch at the same time with the yeast nutrient and his came out with a 22% ABV as well. We both used champagne yeast. His doesn't taste bad, it's just mine with the aftertaste and the cold crash helped on both.

Believe it or not it is a 22%. Trust me we double checked THAT number! My husband did a batch at the same time with the yeast nutrient and his came out with a 22% ABV as well. We both used champagne yeast. His doesn't taste bad, it's just mine with the aftertaste and the cold crash helped on both.

What was your starting gravity reading and your final gravity reading? And what yeast did you use?

Back