Sparge or grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimli30

Reaction score
Hi all
I am looking to start my first all grain batch this weekend.
And I am confused if I need to sparge or not.
I have read two separate books and one suggests the sparge method. a more recent one states to place the grain in the grain bag during the boil and remove like a tea by at the end of the process. This method seems much more simple and cleaner. Am I missing something

Thanks in advance
Owen

Thanks a million for the feedback.
This has clarified a few things for me.
I think I will go with the sparge method.

Cheers

To clarify,here's what I do with partial mash. I get 1.5 gallons of distilled or spring water up to about 155F. Put my 5lbs of crushed grains in a grain bag,& drop it in. I use a plastic paddle to get the grains soaked as evenly as possible. Then cover & set the timer for 1 hour to mash the grains. Maintain that mash temp! That's the hard part for me right now.
I do this part in my 5G SSBK. I use the 3 or 4 gallon pots to heat sparge water,again 1.5 gallons of distilled or spring water.
After the one hour mash,I pull & drain the bag in a SS collander I got from bed,bath,& way beyond perched on top of the BK. Then use the 165F sparge water & a sanitized pyrex 2C measure to slowly pour the sparge water over the grain bag in the collander. Takes about 10-15 minutes. This rinses more sugars or "runnings" off the now mashed grains. Allow to drain well,maybe squeeze a lil bit.
Then raise the heat to bring to a boil. Right before it boils,you get the mad foamy hot break. Keep a long spoon or paddle handy with a spray bottle of plain water. This will help keep the foam from turning into beersuvious. The wild part is,mine finally went down about a quarter inch (the foam),then all of a sudden POOF! it just dissapeared in the blink of an eye. Then proceed with hop additions.

That's excellent feedback... Cheers.

Looking forward to trying this next weekend. Just have to find a decent 30l SS boiler before then.

Back