American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beefeater said:
Hello!

I've been searching for a while for a suitable method and a recipe with which to take the plunge into all grain brewing.
Your recipe and the batch mashing method seems perfect!
It looks like something I can do, and the beer looks delicious!

However, as I live in Norway I have a problem with the ingredients.

Nobody sells malt with the name 2 Row here. Is this the same as Pilsner or Pale malt? The shop I intend to use sells Pilsner and Pale malt from Muntons and Pilsner malt from Castle Malting. Can anyone tell which of these will be the closest substitution?

The Vienna they don't have at all, but I noticed you suggested someone else they could substitute with Munchener, which they have.

The Crystal they have, as well as the right hops and yeast.

With all the substitutions it might end up as a totally different beer, but hopefully a good one:mug:

regards,
beefeater

Uffda! :D

Go with Pale malt and the Munchener malt. It will turn out fine.

[SIZE=-1]skål

Ed

[/SIZE]

EdWort said:
Uffda! :D

Go with Pale malt and the Munchener malt. It will turn out fine.

[SIZE=-1]skål

Ed

[/SIZE]

Tusen Takk!!

I'll definitively be brewing this as my first all-grain!

Skåler for deg!:mug:

I tasted this tonight and though.. hmm why is that biscuity.. then I looked over my stuff and realized I bought Victory, not Vienna.. oopsie, well I'm sure it will be great albeit not what I intended

I need a beer for New Year's Day party which I'm gonna brew this Friday. I'll give the Haus Pale a shot.

Decided on one slight modification; after reading about middle colored malts in the July/August Zymurgy (where the author of the piece urges brewers to try other than Crystal Malts), I decided to replace the 0.5 lbs of Crystal 10L with 0.75 lbs. of Mealnoiden, and dry hope with some Amarillo.

Looking forward to tasting the results.

Thanks for the recipe, Ed. :mug:

Stopped by the brewery this evening to pick up the grain bill (and suck down a couple of pints). Due to the hop shortage, Amarillo looked like my best bet, and they were out of Melanoiden, too, so here's what I came up with for our ten gallon batch:

Ingredients

16.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2.00 lb Vienna Malt
1.50 lb Munich Malt - 20L

1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 19.8 IBU
1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (30 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.23 %
Bitterness: 40.5 IBU

Pretty close to yours, Ed, in terms of IBU's and OG. This will be the first of my beers I'll drink in '08 at the New Year's Day party. Seems like it'll be grand.

John (jdoiv) sent me a bottle of Haus to review. He did a mighty fine job too and even used the label at the top of this thread/recipe. He made a very tasty beer, great carbonation, nice lace, and it has the easy quaffable flavor, but just a tad light on the ibu's compared to mine. Thanks John!

jdoiv-haus.JPG

Brewed it AGAIN yesterday at Bobby_M's house. This time my efficiency was about double last time and my final batch size was 5 gallons. Much, much better than last time. Anyone looking to improve their mashing, look into renting space in Bobby's garage. Its been fermenting since about 2am this morning. I'm thinking of adding 1/2 gallon of spring water to the keg to lighten it up. Here is the slightly tweaked recipe I brewed...

OG = 1.057 / IBUs = 43 / Mashed @ 152F

8.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (35.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.80 oz Centennial [10.30 %] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
0.35 oz Centennial [10.30 %] (30 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
0.20 oz Centennial [10.30 %] (15 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (1 min)
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale US-05

brewed it today myself.
been having efficiency issues the last few brews so i added 2 more lbs of 2 row and 1/2 lb more of crystal.
of course today i get good efficiency(83%) and instead of a nice 1.050 easy drinking session beer i end up at 1.064:drunk:

Edwort,
Please explain what you mean by "crash cool". The beer looks great! I'm making my own version of it this weekend, with a few changes... Thanks!

Brewed 5 gallons of this on Saturday for my second all grain attempt!

My first AG attempt (with a different recipe) was a "learning experience". I learned quite a bit from my mistakes and did much better this time. However I still made some mistakes and my efficiency was low (OG 1.043). And after the brew I realized my hops where 4.6% AAU so my IBUs will be off.

Since my IBUs and OG were on the low side, what are the chances this beer will be ready after just two weeks? I've been volenteered to buy the keg for the family xmas party this year and would love to share some homebrew.

Thanks Edwort!

Hey Ed just wanted to say thanks again! I just racked into the keg yesterday to crash and condition another week. Let me say the sample at 67 degrees and flat was the best tasting sample I have ever had from any of my brews!

I let me wife and a friend try a bit of it as we racked into the keg and they both said it tasted better than any of my beers before!

Well this should go over sweet! got lots of friends and family arriving over the next week. Will be great to welcome them with this fine brew!

Also Ed I must say I really like the flavors the Safale imparted on this brew. Now I haven't done this brew with the Nottingham's like you recommend. I have used Nottingham's a lot in the past and I'm quite familiar with its characteristics. I really like the Safale in this brew. Really came out spot on for style.

Was wondering what you thought having done both the brews with diffrent yeasts. Did you get to that Safale keg yet? What did you think between the two?

I'll be doing your Heffe recipe after X-mas!

Cheers and thanks again!

newguy said:
Also Ed I must say I really like the flavors the Safale imparted on this brew. Now I haven't done this brew with the Nottingham's like you recommend. I have used Nottingham's a lot in the past and I'm quite familiar with its characteristics. I really like the Safale in this brew. Really came out spot on for style.

Was wondering what you thought having done both the brews with diffrent yeasts. Did you get to that Safale keg yet? What did you think between the two?

I'm glad folks are enjoying it and that it is turning out well for them as their first AG brew.

I donated my keg fermented with Safale-05 to a charity party (but got to drink a fair amount myself :D) and I must say, that the difference between the two is hardly noticeable. This was about 4 months old and the hops had really mellowed so the brew was very smooth.

Basically, it's a toss up between Nottingham or Safale-05. Both will deliver great Haus Ale that most people will enjoy.

well good to hear. I'm also going to do your Hef with safale as well. I'm starting to really like these safale yeasts.

newguy said:
I'm also going to do your Hef with safale as well..

Now that's a different story. My hefe MUST be done with Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephaner Yeast. Yeast from the oldest brewery in the world...From 1040. Man, I hope to be alive in 2040 so I can go to Freising, Germany for the Millinieum celebration of a thousand year old brewery. Talk about a party! Make your reservations now! :D

If you use Safale for the Hefe, it's not my recipe.

EdWort said:
Now that's a different story. My hefe MUST be done with Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephaner Yeast. Yeast from the oldest brewery in the world...From 1040. Man, I hope to be alive in 2040 so I can go to Freising, Germany for the Millinieum celebration of a thousand year old brewery. Talk about a party! Make your reservations now! :D

If you use Safale for the Hefe, it's not my recipe.

I think he was probably referring to the new Safbrew WB-06 hefe yeast, that's said to be the Weihenstephaner yeast.

Ed. I have a fly sparge arm

Would you still sparge with 3.5 gals? or would you modify that up or down?

I am going to brew this beer up tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.

tgrier said:
Ed. I have a fly sparge arm

Would you still sparge with 3.5 gals? or would you modify that up or down?

I am going to brew this beer up tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.

You are going to need more than that to make up for loss to grain absorption, trub, etc.

Here's a sparge water calc that can help. I do batch sparging myself.

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

Awesome Ed.. thanks for your help.

Well my local beer mentor suggested that I get phil's sparge arm on my cooler setup.

It seems that most people here do batch sparging with great success. Is it just a waste of time to do the fly? or should I say.. easier or more difficult to screw it up?

I will just mess with it and see which way I like..

I will report my experience.
thanks for the response Ed.

T
a Fellow texan

Just kegged mine today Ed. 1 week primary, 1 week seconday and 1 week crash cool (1st time crash cooling now that it's cooler outside). Really clear and even tasty flat. Thanks for the recipe, think it'll be a keeper. The Goblin and Haus Pale are a nice couple on the kegerator..

Ed.

Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

you say your sparge with 3.25 gal here .. put in a previous post you mention I should use more... I used more .. and over shot the 6.5 gal. I used what your link to 365 told me to do...
So now I am just confused.
I really want to get this recipe correct...

I hit 1.041 on this batch... should I just throw it out? or go through the trouble to complete it?

thanks Ed.

Don't ditch it!

It'll still be beer, and I'll bet you a pint it's still delicious. It'll just be more of a session beer. That's classy.

Don't dump it. That's not bad for your first AG. You will work things out. I thought you were going to fly sparge with your sparge arm. When you batch sparge, the water calcs work out to what I state in my recipe. You need to stir several times to get the sugars into suspension before you drain to your kettle. You now have a beer that will still be very enjoyable, but less filling :D

I need a substitute for nottingham dry yeast. Midwest Supplies does not seem to carry it.
I finally have the equipment to do an all grain batch and I want to get on this ASAP.
Thanks in advance.
Dustin

I just took a reading with my thief and the reading looks good.. a little light ..1.010 and 1.009 on 2 5 gal batches.

What I was surprised at is the fact I could not smell the hops on this...
with 2oz of cascade I was expecting more nose.

I did not taste it yet.. but I am going to rack, crash cool, and keg here soon.

Does this not have a strong nose? I follow the recipe.

I will report back once I taste it.

Ed I just wanted to ring in some praise for this recipe.. My first AG and I've gotten so many compliments on this one that I'll be brewing it again very soon. Such a simple recipe for such a tasty brew! Thanks again for sharing!!

tgrier said:
Does this not have a strong nose? I follow the recipe.

I will report back once I taste it.

Nope, it is not supposed to have a strong nose to it.

It's a nice light, yet flavorful beer. Not too hoppy, but enough tang there for the true beer lover, but subdued for a wider range of beer drinkers.

It's designed to be quaffable and enjoyed by many.

Can't wait to try mine. Its not as light as I'd hoped but that's due to great efficiency and attenuation, so I'm not complaining. I'll update once I get to pour one...

Just tapped by this brew - which was my first AG - where I hit 1.041.

It has only been 3 weeks. But I could not wait to taste.

It tastes nice. But there is a harsh finish right now. I am hoping aging will make this smooth out. Very nice color.

tgrier said:
Just tapped by this brew - which was my first AG - where I hit 1.041.

It has only been 3 weeks. But I could not wait to taste.

It tastes nice. But there is a harsh finish right now. I am hoping aging will make this smooth out. Very nice color.

The harshness is probably from your OG being low and your IBUs remaining at the same level. I just tasted mine too and its awesome. The drinkability is gonna be trouble...:D

Any good hops substitution if Cascade is not available..?

(Wiki hops sub. chart does not have Cascade)

EDIT: There are suggested subs, but they are listed on the individual Cascade page:

Centennial, Galena, Eroica, Nugget, Bullion

So... which one(s)?

Latest posts

Back