Adding the sugar included in the kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Brewers Best "English Brown Ale" kit. The kit included 2 packages of sugar. One labeled 'priming sugar'. I have read the directions at least 5 times and nowhere does it say when to add the other package of sugar to the wort.

The kit has specialty grains for steeping along with a package of LME and DME. So my newbie question is when do I add the larger package of sugar?

Thanks for the help.

Ray

Where did you get the kit from? Call em. I would imagine you can add it at any time during the boil.

The smaller bag labeled "priming sugar" should not be added until bottling ... I think you already know that because you didn't ask, but just making sure.

Is the larger bag of sugar labeled with what kind it is, and how much? My guess is it's either maltodextrin (unfermentable) for extra body, or dextrose/corn sugar (fermentable) for extra alcohol.

Either maltodextrin or dextrose would be added to the wort while it's boiling. If it's labeled as something else, let us know.

My first brews were with Brewer's Best Kits and if I had to guess, the other bag of sugar is maltodextrin and should be added after you get the water to boil (along with the LME & DME) Check the website and if the instructions on there don't mention it you can give them a call (there is an 800 number listed on the site.)

Apparently the kit was either packaged wrong or someone had opened it at my local HBS and mixed up the contents. The English Brown Ale is not supposed to have any extra sugar in the package other than the priming sugar.

I contacted the manufacturer directly and received a response back in less than 2 hours. That's great customer service.

The kit is now brewed and in my fermentor.

Ray

Back