Dirty bottles...what have i done.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
In the process of bottling my beer as we speak, after bottling about eight beers I noticed that some bottles have some old grime and filth in them.
I have sanitised and soaked for a while now, so I am taking what I believe to be the correct procedure.
Just a question, what can all this filth and grime actually do to me?
I got these bottles from a deceased state and don't know how long that they been sitting there. Doesn't sound good to me.
It's only a small percentage I don't want to chuck the rest of it away. What do you think?

Iffy at best. I would soak them in PBW and use a bottle brush. Then use a bottle blaster to rinse. Then sanitize. Thats what i do atm.

I don't really mind if it tastes terrible, just learning.
But what about health issues?
I've got them separated, it's a dark ale so 0 visibility.

I would mind if they tasted terrible.

If you are just learning, your first beer certainly won't be your best, but after all that work, and after all that waiting, you'll be real pissed with yourself if the beer is wasted because you didn't take the time to clean bottles properly.

Get the filth and grime out with a bottle brush and unscented dish soap or bleach, etc. then sanitize. It will be worth your while.

Soak them in oxyclean. Overnight preferably. If they aren't clean after one soak, try another night. If they aren't clean then... Maybe throw that bottle out.

Yeah but it's to late, it's in there now and bottled and I'm not sure If the bottles are dirty or not :/
Just don't want to sick from it, if it tastes horrible I will dump it.
If this filth desolves in my beer will I taste it or could it harm me without any sign?

And this is my 3rd batch using these bottles actually, so I REALLY don't want to chuck my stock!
Just really want to know if I will taste a "mold" tainted beer?

I have sanitised and soaked for a while now, so I am taking what I believe to be the correct procedure.

You can't sanitize something that isn't clean. Clean first then sanitize. Typically nothing that can make you sick can live in beer. But that's assuming you follow basic cleaning and sanitizing processes. If you didn't properly clean your bottles, who knows what in there. I'm not sure of the origin of the quote, but it goes something like this, if you take a quart of ice cream and mix it with a quart of dog crap, you still end up with dog crap.

Remember that you cannot sanitize something that isn't clean. The sanitizer will not be able to penetrate the grime.

But it shouldn't do much harm to you unless you are allergic to Penicillin.
The old grime is from left over beer (protein, beerstone, complex carbohydrates, etc...) and has likely been a feast for mold (mildew).
It will also harbor lots of bacteria. The hops, alcohol, and CO2 should prohibit them from multiplying so you should be fine.
If you are going to drink them, then do so fast. Resistant bugs can eat on sugars that the yeast leave behind, this will ruin your beer with nasty byproducts and increase the pressure inside the bottle.

Aside
I have used some 50+ year old coke bottles for my apple cider that I found buried in an old barn. I was able to get the grime off of them by rinsing repeatedly with a jet washer and then soaking overnight in a hot solution of oxyclean and TSP (60:40).
They were as good an new after a scrub with a bottle brush and a final rinse.

And this is my 3rd batch using these bottles actually, so I REALLY don't want to chuck my stock!
Just really want to know if I will taste a "mold" tainted beer?

No one here, even you, can tell what's in your bottles. So, without meaning to sound like a jerk, I want to say this: No one knows if your beer will taste like it was tainted other than you. And the only way to know, is by opening one and tasting it.

Please elaborate?
I was mostly taking a stab at being humorous but here you go:

Penicillium is a common variety of mold/mildew and are among the main cause of food spoilage. The drug (antibiotic) is created by fermenting penicillium chrysogenum in a wort like medium. Less than 1% of people have an adverse reaction to it, symptoms are similar to those commonly diagnosed as food poisoning.

Back