Brewtius Maximus/The Braxton 10 – Complete Single Tier Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for the rest of the build, hit the areas to be welded with the grinder BEFORE you weld them. your pre-weld pictures need to look like your post-grind pictures. i promise it's way easier to weld clean materials without rust/oil/etc. :)

for the rest of the build, hit the areas to be welded with the grinder BEFORE you weld them. your pre-weld pictures need to look like your post-grind pictures. i promise it's way easier to weld clean materials without rust/oil/etc. :)

Awesome, if I have time tonight, I'll give this a shot. thanks!

Looks good! I may copy your design. What was your welding setup? Was it flux core? It also looks like you are using 110 mig? Is that enough juice for that thick steel?

bmunos said:
Looks good! I may copy your design. What was your welding setup? Was it flux core? It also looks like you are using 110 mig? Is that enough juice for that thick steel?

Just a 90 amp flux wire welder from harbor freight. And it's doing a perfectly good job. I haven't had any issues and I know a bunch of other people on hbt that have used it on the same steel for their stands.

I will tell you from experience with the Harbor Freight welder that you should just throw away the wire that comes with it. Go buy a roll of Lincoln flux core wire. You will be glad you did.

Agree with using better wire. I also used a HF welder on 3/16" material and it did fine, I used up the wire it came with and then changed to the Lincon wire and it splattered much less and seemed to flow better. I used the grinder to clean up the weld area prior to welding, I also beveled the edges a touch to form a "v" so to speak, worked great.

Keep up the good work, looks great!

Most recent update I got my casters in and they are sweet. However I ordered the wrong size expandable stem so when it's all said and done these cost about $100. However the people at Caster City are great and I highly recommend them!

I also purchased a window ac unit off of Craigslist to update my ferm- chamber since the mini fridge couldn't keep up this summer. I'll throw some pics up when I get around to that.

Oh, and I was lucky enough to order 2 Speidel 7.9 gallon fermenters today. Hopefully they will be here soon!

Other than that I haven't got to my welding again, so hopefully I can finish that up Sunday/Monday.

image-3544856328.jpg

I am finished with the top. Probably 15 hours of love filled intensive labor and that is the result. Hopefully this morning I can get the legs and side posts on, and were set!

image-3335937366.jpg

image-2804049414.jpg

The legs are on! Still need to put the front and rear cross braces on and the diamond plate. Then it's time to paint!

image-1596652169.jpg

image-2159158466.jpg

I got a little bit further today. That diamond plate was extremely difficult to cut - I had to notch the corners to account for the frame. However once I got that done, and set in place it looks great. I'll just have to cover it when I go to paint. There are a few places that I'm going to hit with another bead and regrind it just to be safe. Then comes the paint! Hopefully by the end of next week it'll be brew ready. However with all that can go wrong (like my angle grinder dying this morning and having to get another one) we will see.

I'm getting my 3rd keg this week, the false bottom for the mash tun is on the way as well as the replacement parts for the casters. Then I just need to get a few more fittings for the kegs and pumps, and Ill be on my way! Will continue to post progress as more is made.

image-997888445.jpg

image-949450944.jpg

image-2605620156.jpg

image-1709658573.jpg

Time for an update!!

Decided to drill my mash paddle. Got my third keg and it is ready to be drilled. Also finished a little side project - my all stainless carbonation lid. Also got the casters on and there the kegs on there for fun. I hope to paint it today. Also started on my gas lines, and received my false bottom.

image-4095445027.jpg

image-2218104016.jpg

image-193519286.jpg

image-2936983449.jpg

image-3037723791.jpg

image-2471794885.jpg

image-2064411045.jpg

image-2532492679.jpg

image-2763775908.jpg

image-646091354.jpg

image-1393103171.jpg

image-1747920850.jpg

image-3235810953.jpg

image-1942300770.jpg

image-1510784861.jpg

Got the stand painted today. A few of my welds didn't grid out smoothly to my liking. I may just use JB weld to fill it in and touch up over it. Over all I am very happy with how it turned out. That is the 2000 degree paint. I still need a way to cure it. (Maybe a heat gun).

I popped the hello ball valves off the gas lines and painted them red, along with the hose hanger. The metal under the hose hanger will be for burner shrouds and pump heat guards.

Also cut open and grinded my 3rd keg which will be the mash tun. I also drilled the holes for it.

Let me know what you think. Soon it will be time to start mounting things. I just ordered the rest of my fittings and etc for the kegs. Hope to do a test brew on it this weekend.

image-1140748027.jpg

image-385028913.jpg

image-1560283796.jpg

image-1510487284.jpg

image-3284718507.jpg

image-1645989823.jpg

image-1595062459.jpg

image-3316334798.jpg

image-2332681316.jpg

image-1593410568.jpg

image-3365509456.jpg

image-3670157669.jpg

How low are you setting your burners? I have the same ones set at 4.5" and the flame still touches the bottom of my kegs. Her is a pic without the shields on them.

I like to tool box idea. Great job!

10 Burners Mounted.jpg

Hmm... why? Mine seem fine, but the first brew day will tell the truth. And I'm sure ill learn about a dozen things I want to change.

Hmm... why? Mine seem fine, but the first brew day will tell the truth. And I'm sure ill learn about a dozen things I want to change.

I started with mine at 2" from the top and found the flame was not getting enough oxygen to create the proper combustion, so the flame stayed pretty yellow. It also created a ton of soot on the bottom of mt kegs.

Did you drill out the orifice or order the proper orifices. I also had a flame that was fairly short until I drilled them, but I am running mine through Honeywell gas valves.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

I started with mine at 2" from the top and found the flame was not getting enough oxygen to create the proper combustion, so the flame stayed pretty yellow. It also created a ton of soot on the bottom of mt kegs.

Did you drill out the orifice or order the proper orifices. I also had a flame that was fairly short until I drilled them, but I am running mine through Honeywell gas valves.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Which orifice are you talking about?

Thanks for the positive feedback, I plan on brewing on Sunday. The burners as of now need to be lowered, thanks de3. I hope to get them, and everything else I need to get done by this weekend for the first brew.

Which orifice are you talking about?

The flare brass fitting the came in the burner. There are a number of usefull threads in determining the correct size based on you inlet pressure. If you are using just a high pressure regulator you should be ok with the size that came with the burners, as I believe they are high pressure burners. I converted mine to low pressure so I could use Honeywell gas valves at 10" W.C.. I drilled mine to 3/32".

13 Burners.jpg

Back