Pinot Noir goes POP with Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
OK - these are my 2 first batches of wine. I have made many all grain batches of beer (mostly pilsner with primary fermentation controlled at 52F with a freezer). Is this the equivalent of a blow out in the wine world? what a damn mess! I cleaned the airlocks and let it continue (is that the correct action in the wine world)? These are both Selections Estate Pinot Noir kits (so pricey - not wanting to fire truck them up)... and that poor Apfelwein got *****ed, also!!!

006.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Your fermentors should be unsealed, just place the lid on loosely, or a towel, or anything loose and stir a couple times a day for the first few days.
When its at around 1.020-1.030, transfer it to an air locked fermentor

they are probably ok, you need to do a lot of cleaning anyways so just transfer now.

You also need plenty of head room in your primary fermenter. If you have a 6 gal batch of wine, you should be fermenting in an 8 gal container.

They are both 8 gallon fermenters. I took the airlocks off of both of them (one had already turned purple again within an hour of the cleaned up pictures)...

I've never really ever had an issue with wines coming out of the airlock, but I wonder if it got really warm so the yeast is extremely active. I don't really need too much headspace with wine, for the most part.

It looks like a scene from a horror movie. Did you use a yeast starter? I've never done one with wine I usually just pitch dry. Or, warmer temps possibly?

74 degree closet. Heat of fermentation brought the pail to 79. No yeast starter - last Thursday I poured one packet of EC-1118 on each and off it went! Stayed in the airlock until last night bubbling happily. 8 gallon ferementers with 6 gallons of must. I'm sure it will be fine - just wondering what the goo oozing out is and if the wine loses anything from it being lost.

74 degree closet. Heat of fermentation brought the pail to 79.

Yep, that'd do it! It's too bad you can't keep it a bit cooler but that yeast strain will tolerate higher temperatures just fine. My preference, as far as flavor, is for it to be fermented in the 60s, but it won't be bad at higher temperatures just with more "flavors" to the wine.

You don't want to "lose" the grape juice, but you still have plenty left!

So letting wine open to air is not a big deal during the primary fermentation? I know in the beer world that is a no no! Interesting... Time to add yeast to my SkeeterPee...

So letting wine open to air is not a big deal during the primary fermentation? I know in the beer world that is a no no! Interesting... Time to add yeast to my SkeeterPee...

I actually don't cover most of my wines during primary, except with a clean towel to keep fruitflies out. You want to avoid contamination, of course, but as long as creepy crawlies can't get it, it'll be fine.

Back