Cut dip tube when kegging mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuggleHops

Reaction score
I've got a couple of batches of mead that I am getting ready to keg, and I'd like to know if it would be a good idea to cut half an inch or so off of the bottom of the dip tube. One of the batches has only been racked once before, so I'm certain there will be some additional lees falling out of it later on. If I just left the tube as is, it would certainly suck up sediment, but that may not be a bad thing as I could easily discard it. But if I cut the tube, any sediment would remain on the bottom, undisturbed. Which is the better way to go?

TheBrewingMedic said:
Why not wait until your mead is completely done fermenting/clearing before putting it into a keg?

It's done fermenting, and I don't see the point in racking it to a carboy again when I could just put it in a keg and not have to worry about oxygen exposure.

The bottom of the cornies are dished so if you cut off 1/2 - 3/4" off your tubes the loss is very minimal.
I cut all of mine to eliminate issues with hops trub from dry hopping.

I've never found a need or reason to cut my dip tubes. Unless you get a LOT of fallout, there's almost nothing to suck up the tube.
My dry hopping is done with a bag, so again there's really nothing mucking up the bottom to cause me any concern.

Back