define some words for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
here are a few terms that I can't seem to get a good grasp on and the book does not help. maybe you can?

1. Briess

2. pilsen vs pilsner

3. carafoam or "cara" anything

4. crisp or "crisp" anything

5. candi syrup

There is an app called beer dictionary form Google apps that has them all.

spam said:
here are a few terms that I can't seem to get a good grasp on and the book does not help. maybe you can?

1. Briess

2. pilsen vs pilsner

3. carafoam or "cara" anything

4. crisp or "crisp" anything

5. candi syrup

Google them. There truly is no point in
questions like these unless you're wiling
to do at least a minimum of online research. Briess... ?!

Briess is a brand of malt.
Pilsner is a type of lagar. Pilsen is a city in the check rebuplic where it was founded.
Cara is a type of malt.
not sure on crisp.
Candi syrup is exactly what it says. It's syrup full of sugar to increase gravity.

And seriously. Be able to do a little of your own research. Briess?! Pilsner?!

Crisp, like Briess, is a malt brand. They take raw grain and malt the grain for use in brewing.

1. Briess: A slight wind

2. pilsen vs pilsner: Letters on an eye chart

3. carafoam or "cara" anything: What flies out of a car sick kids mouth

4. crisp or "crisp" anything: Slang for a head full of Absinthe

5. candi syrup: Name of a dancer in a club down the street

Ok, you asked what Briess meant. It doesn't mean anything. It is a brand. You asked what Pilsner is. Pilsner's are a type of beer. They are what Budweiser, Miller, and Coors are. If you are incapable of doing even a little bit of research by yourself, don't get pissy at everyone for laughing about it. Google is your friend. USE IT!

But, but, it's soooo hard to type words into a search engine! I might sprain a finger! OMG you guys are so mean .... sad face :-(

I just couldn't resist.

spam said:
wow, nice smart-ass remarks, but not much help,,

Do you go into a car dealership and ask what the steering wheel does?

And its not suprising that whatever book you're looking at didn't explain name brands to you. Styles on the other hand.... what book are you looking at anyway?

Most of these come up when you are doing all grain. The OP is just starting this journey. I think they have all been defined now so no need to do it again. Most of this stuff I learned from pouring over a home brew supply catalog. I would suggest the OP request home brew supply catalogs from one or two suppliers. You can learn a lot from them. Midwest and MoreBeer are both good sources though they may not be available to the OP.

spam said:
wow, nice smart-ass remarks, but not much help,,

Actually everything you asked was answered in post #4. Reading is apparently as difficult as google searching.

1. Briess: A slight wind

2. pilsen vs pilsner: Letters on an eye chart

3. carafoam or "cara" anything: What flies out of a car sick kids mouth

4. crisp or "crisp" anything: Slang for a head full of Absinthe

5. candi syrup: Name of a dancer in a club down the street

Funny and clever!

Crisp is an English company, famous for Maris Otter malt

Pez.

The intro to this beginner forum *does* note to post up/ ask any question you may have.

anyways, I only come here for laughs... "Briess = A slight wind" is the best!

Back