Carbing my Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadDoc

Reaction score
Ok so as I have never seen this before..... the recipe calls for taking out a quart of wort before fermenting and use it for priming.... but when it comes to the priming directions doesnt mention adding the wort to the process just the 3/4 cup of corn sugar with water. The time frame is after bottled let it sit in warm place for 7-10 days then 2 weeks in a cool place.

Well I will be bottling on Wed (earliest day I have that I can do this without not having time to carb for a lil shindig) and I have yet to find out anything on this. Sadly to say a true hydrometer test probably cant be performed due to an addition of Creme de Cacao when racking to the secondary which if all is right estimates 8.3% so says the recipe.

Should I boil the 1 qt of wort again and boil the sugar in with water? Boil the sugar into the wort? or Dont boil the wort and boil the sugar in water?

DeadDoc said:
Ok so as I have never seen this before..... the recipe calls for taking out a quart of wort before fermenting and use it for priming.... but when it comes to the priming directions doesnt mention adding the wort to the process just the 3/4 cup of corn sugar with water. The time frame is after bottled let it sit in warm place for 7-10 days then 2 weeks in a cool place.

Well I will be bottling on Wed (earliest day I have that I can do this without not having time to carb for a lil shindig) and I have yet to find out anything on this. Sadly to say a true hydrometer test probably cant be performed due to an addition of Creme de Cacao when racking to the secondary which if all is right estimates 8.3% so says the recipe.

Should I boil the 1 qt of wort again and boil the sugar in with water? Boil the sugar into the wort? or Dont boil the wort and boil the sugar in water?

I think the directions just got confused. You take the quart of wort out for krausening. Assuming you've kept it in a sanitzed environment, you shouldn't need to boil it. And assuming that the recipe got the correct krausen ratio correct, you shouldn't need to add any sugar.

See here as a reference:
http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/krausen.htm

I haven't tried krausening yet, but think that I will for my next brew. It's supposed to really smooth out the beer.

DSean said:
I think the directions just got confused. You take the quart of wort out for krausening. Assuming you've kept it in a sanitzed environment, you shouldn't need to boil it. And assuming that the recipe got the correct krausen ratio correct, you shouldn't need to add any sugar.

See here as a reference:
http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/krausen.htm

I haven't tried krausening yet, but think that I will for my next brew. It's supposed to really smooth out the beer.

Hmmmm very interesting. Thanks! That does sound like what it is referring to there.

My OG was lower than what they had accounted for so I might need sugar then to boost it up around where it needs to be. OH WOW! the OG was 1.037 instead of a 1.063... ick. Something bad happened there. Oh... I had subsituted items due to lack of finding them... I think I realized that was a bad idea.

Back