What kind of odors should I expect during "primary fermentation"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I will be starting my first batch of homebrew in the near future (Scottish Ale). I have a nice "dark" interior closet that I'm planning on using for my primary and secondary fermentations. Is this a good idea? What kind of odors might I expect?
I don't want the wife up in arms!:mad:

Your comments will be appreciated.

I've never noticed too much aroma from fermentation, unless I'm actively sniffin' the airlock (which I'm known to do). You might be a little careful about what else shares that closet while the beer is fermenting, as some people have had some pretty nasty blowoffs during fermentation (in closets), so on the off chance you do get an explosive fermentation (not all that common unless you're doing a big starter), you probably don't want your wife's wedding dress in there.

Yeast (bread dough), sulfur, hops, all kinds of good things. When a ferment is confined, the air gets thick. I put the hopwine in my locker & it really reeks of hops. Maybe I'll put the blackberry wine in to balance it.

If your wife doesn't like odors, she won't like fermentation one little bit.

When mine was fermenting it was in the closet near my bed and i could hear it bubbling, i didn't sleep very well that night. Just a warning. :D

I think the smell greatly depends on the yeast strain... everyone says hefe's STINK.

This is very true. I've done many batches with many yeasts and the only one I found to be outright unpleasant was the Weihenstephan strain - tons of hydrogen sulfide (rotten eggs).

Other than that, most strains will produce a lot of isoamyl acetate, which has a banana odor. That's probably the dominant odor you'll get from most ale yeasts. In an enclosed space, the smell will definitely be noticeable when you open that closet door.

This is very true. I've done many batches with many yeasts and the only one I found to be outright unpleasant was the Weihenstephan strain - tons of hydrogen sulfide (rotten eggs).

Other than that, most strains will produce a lot of isoamyl acetate, which has a banana odor. That's probably the dominant odor you'll get from most ale yeasts. In an enclosed space, the smell will definitely be noticeable when you open that closet door.

ZOMBIE thread from 4 years back! :D

17201d1258434900-necropost-warning-necrokitten.jpg

Back