pineapple wine clearing question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My pine apple wine is 4 months old. Fermentation has been stopped for a while now and it has been degassed and stabilized. I have added gelatin finings ...It still looks like pineapple juice. By that I mean it is not even close to being clear. I doubt you could see through a glass if you poured it. It has been racked a couple of times but I have not cold crashed it yet. I have no problem with letting it just set for a while as it is pretty rough . the temps got high and I honestly forgot to move it to a cooler room. it is smoothing out so more time will not hurt it. SOOO any suggestions? cold crash or what?

De-Gas the wine as much as possible and get it into a cold location. My Pineapple took several months to clear completely. Give it some time in a cold climate and you will be ok.

Salute! :mug:

Ok I put it into cold crash. It is way more clear than I thought, been setting a couple weeks since the last racking and there is no sediment. I want to back sweeten it before bottling, it is DRY as a bone .096. I like sweeter wines so in a 5 gallon batch to get it pretty sweet how much sugar should I use? I know I can pull a sample and taste test it but I always end up missing what I want. I have also read ( someone posted it for me) that 1 pound of sugar in 5 gallons raises the sg.009 ( think thats right) SOO I am THINKING 2-2.5 pounds to get this fairly sweet. It will have to set a while as it is still hot and I know the sweetness really comes out with age so is this a reasonable amount?

Back sweetened the pineapple wine this morning..pulled out a pint and added 1 oz of sugar dissolved in water. was near perfect so I put 2.5 pounds of sugar in a 5 gallon batch. stuck it back in the fridge ( was gonna bottle it but realized my last bit of sanitizer had gunk in it.)

Back