Blue and Blackberry mead amounts??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire_travels

Reaction score
We are going to make 2 1 gallon batches of meed tomarrow and we are going to use

1.4 pounds of Blackberrys and
1.1 pounds of blueberrys

Will this be enought to give the mead some decent flavor?
Should I add the berrys to the mead wort or right in to the primary?
Also we are going to start the meed with 3 pounds of wildflower hunny each.

Thanks for any Ideals!

oo yeah I put the berrys in the Freezer.....??!!??

Fire_travels said:
We are going to make 2 1 gallon batches of meed tomarrow and we are going to use

1.4 pounds of Blackberrys and
1.1 pounds of blueberrys

Will this be enought to give the mead some decent flavor?
You will get some flavor with this quantity, but using 2lbs of each fruit will work better.
Should I add the berrys to the mead wort or right in to the primary?
I don't understand what you mean here, your wort/must goes into your primary....berries are best added to secondary, where the flavors won't ferment out completely.
Also we are going to start the meed with 3 pounds of wildflower hunny each.
3lbs of Honey and fruit in 1 gallon will give you a sweeter mead.

Thanks for any Ideals!

oo yeah I put the berrys in the Freezer.....??!!??
thaw your berries a little before adding them.

What I ment was should I put the berry in while i am preparing the wort, like after the short boil or should I just put them in the primary and rack the wort on top?

So your saying bring water to boil, then take off heat and disolve hunny and peptic enzimes and yeast nutrient, add to primarry and bring up to proper level. Pitch yeast

Will it work to add berrys after i bring water to a boil and after the hunny . Then adjust the flavor in the seconday with some puree?

Repeating the comments of several other people: Put the fruit in the secondary NOT the primary.

Fire_travels said:
So your saying bring water to boil, then take off heat and disolve hunny and peptic enzimes and yeast nutrient, add to primarry and bring up to proper level.

Save the peptic enzyme till you add the fruit, you don't need it at this point.

well I just finished the two 1 gallon mead! It went good and thanks for all of the help!! The info that new brewers receive on this site is awesome! Thanks again to everyone! I will post again here when we have more of a final product!

I've used 10# of blueberries in a 5 gallon batch with good results. They were frozen for months, thawed completely, squished in the Foodsaver bag and added to the secondary fermenter for a month or so.

I've also used black raspberries in a stout, never yet in a mead. 9# were added to the wort at flameout and steeped for 30 minutes. I'm going to have to make a second 5 gallons and blend the two, because 9# was waaaayy too much.

I'd start with 1# of raspberries in one gallon of mead. It's easy to add more later, but quite difficult to take it back once it's in there.

**update***

ok the fermt. slowed down. way down and I added fruit and racked on top and it has been almost a week! good color! My question is.. all of the fruit in on top.. should I stir or tip over the jub to mix the fruit? also being new at mead should I rack off the Fruit in about a week?

Back