Strange Yeast Formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
I am on my 8 batch, I seem to be getting the hang of brewing very good extract beer. And I am a very adimit follower of waiting 1 week after pitching yeast to ask a question, becuase more often than not there is nothing wrong with your beer.

With that being said, what the hell is wrong with my yeast?

MobileMe Gallery

I pitched Rehydrated dry yeast a week ago. Krausen was good, and fermentation looked good as well. This beer kit is Northern Brewer's Phat Tyre Beer.

Krausen and yeast granuals floating look like Grape-Nuts Cereal floating up and down. I have not seen this in any of my other beers.

This is the first time I have used Star San to sanitize, and I used Irsh Moss as well, both used as instructed.

I"m probably over reacting, and will just let it sit for 3 weeks and nothing will be wrong with it, but I thought I'd at least ask. Thanks Guys.

It's a Belgian yeast, which means that what you're looking at is a vigorous raft of top-fermenting yeasties. It'll be fine.

I used Fermentis Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast. I didn't go with a Wyeast or White labs. Thats why I"m a bit concerned.

Safale 04 clumps together like that. It will fall all out completely. Just give it a few weeks.

That is what S-04 looks like. It settled out from mine in a few days. I got 2 cups of pure yeast from my conical on the third day. I was shocked, this was the first ever dump of yeast. Other yeasts are not like that.

yeast.jpg

David :)

Back