Help with pumpkin Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevestone1988

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Making a Pumpkin Saison and need your help. I planned on a 5G batch (3G boil); and have whole cinnamon sticks with ground all spice, ground clove, and ground ginger...just have no idea how much to use of each. I'm using 3 cans of organic pumpkin but really not trying to make this thing a spice bomb, ( i want to taste the spice, not TASTE THE SPICE!) and wouldn't have a problem with throwing out the clove or ginger if it's too much. Using wyeast bier de garde strain 3725. Any help would be geart appreciated.

Mine was a bigger Saison, 7.7%, and I aggressively spiced it because I wanted it ready in October and wanted to still be enjoying it in February as z winter warmer.

At flameout, I tossed in:
0.5oz coriander
0.15oz cinnamon sticks
0.15oz clove
0.15oz nutmeg

Maybe cut that in half for a less aggressive flavor.

Great thanks for the help! Used 1/8- 1/4 tsp for all the spice (ginger, clove, allspice) and 1 stick of cinnamon. Smelled good but will give update on taste

I was thinking of a pumpkin-spice (no pumpkin) witbier, but I'm not sure if dry, crisp Belgian styles would really be best for this sort of thing. Most pumpkin beers seem to use a more caramelly, malty base style (Amber, Porter, etc.). I got no input on my thread, and I assume that's why. I'm definitely interested in how this turns out, though.

I must have missed the thread. I think not using the pumpkin in a Witbier version is a good idea. The pumpkin would make it creamy and not crisp.

My pumpkin saison went from 1.070 to 1.011. That's about 84% attenuation. It was very enjoyable.

I'd be more concerned with tart vs spice. As long as you minimize the tartness I think it should work nicely.

Update: t
This beer was great! Probably one of the best I made. Only complaint is I wish I was a littleess cautious with the spices. Other than that it was amazing. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Update: t
This beer was great! Probably one of the best I made. Only complaint is I wish I was a littleess cautious with the spices. Other than that it was amazing. Let me know if you want the recipe.

You could add a little more at bottling, even experiment with 1/2 with more spice. Make a spice tea just be sure you get the water really hot and sanitize the spices.

Latest posts

Back