Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BD.jpg

My label, made in honor of our family pet that passed away recently. We had two great danes, the silhouette is an actual picture of the Dog that passed, this is not the full label just the main body. Her name was Betty, My first FG batch will be a Stout named Whoa Black Betty,which was her kennel name, corny I know but she was a much loved member of our family.

sasky7777 said:
@tyippers great work

Thanks! I got a few more I'm going to post soon. I'm just too busy commissioning my new e-keggle! I thought I might want to do graphic design professionally, but I find I have more fun engineering stuff!

Here is my latest label.

We actually split a gallon off of the main batch and put jabeneros in secondary with it... should be a hot one!

hot chocolate label logo.jpg

My favourite so far...

I love everything about that label except the bavarian font on the date 2012. Just seems out of place. Not terribly out of place. Honestly I'm just being hyper crytical cause I may have been drinking.... lol. AWESOME LABEL!

I love everything about that label except the bavarian font on the date 2012. Just seems out of place. Not terribly out of place. Honestly I'm just being hyper crytical cause I may have been drinking.... lol. AWESOME LABEL!

Now that you mention it to a certain extent I might agree. It does look a little out of pace, but then again maybe it would seem to uniform if it were all the same. Either way, I like the simplicity of the design. Good job

I posted earlier with the initial design a couple days ago, finally got around to printing it out. Borrowed the brown paper bag idea and I'm very happy with the results of my first labeled beer.

Design
SkippingStoneBlonde2_zps8a81db88.png

Tried ripping and cutting to see what I liked better.
2013-02-21_19-44-58_657_zps33e94d98.jpg

Any time you have a border on a label, you're better off cutting it exactly with an exacto knife and ruler (or scissors if your hands are very steady) or using a guillotine. Ripping really works best on borderless labels as the rip will be inexact, but without a visual cue from a border your eyes will be more forgiving.

I like the ripped edge. It adds a little organic look to a very straight edged design. If you look at the two I posted, you'll see I'm a fan of the ripped edge look. Though I faked mine so it has the ripped edge look with the ease of cutting the labels apart with a straight edge.

Yours look good on the bottle! Nice job!

Cultkid said:
Any time you have a border on a label, you're better off cutting it exactly with an exacto knife and ruler (or scissors if your hands are very steady) or using a guillotine. Ripping really works best on borderless labels as the rip will be inexact, but without a visual cue from a border your eyes will be more forgiving.

Just goes to show how different people's tastes can be! Its quite fun!

I agree, I think I'd like the clean edges better if they were really clean. I might redisign and try without a border for rough edges and perhaps one with a thicker border to act as as a buffer, and maybe try and use a paper cutter. Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, you could make the black border really thick, and then the rip would probably look really good on it. So rip through part of the black, but have so much black that it looks intentional...if you know what I mean...

And another set I'm very pleased with.

A Belgian trio (singel, tripel and quadrupel) fermented on yeast cake from the previous brew. I.e. the quadrupel fermented on yeast cake that had fermented both the single and the tripel.
I am using Norse runes as the basic.

image-1168071854.jpg

Here's a label I've been playing with for our IPA that is in the fermenter right now. It will be ready for March Madness....
8497968690_df0b077750_n.jpg

My most recent label for a Brown Ale. I resized it to post which kind of throws it off a little. Most of my labels are tv/movie themed.

BrownAle.jpg

Yeah, you could make the black border really thick, and then the rip would probably look really good on it. So rip through part of the black, but have so much black that it looks intentional...if you know what I mean...

That makes perfect sense, I might have to try that out next.

I live in the New England area so it's a bit of a shout out to Ethan Allen and The Green mountain Boys.

8471834503_de2f061980_z.jpg

Finished up a bunch of labels recently... a lot of them for future beers that aren't even ready yet, because I guess this is what I do for fun when I'm not brewing.

Instead of spamming the thread by posting every image for every label, you can see them all in this blog entry, via fancy slideshow, here: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2013/02/i-made-my-own-bear-flavored-beer-labels.html

There's also some "tips" from what I learned along the way, though I am of course an amateur too.

Our pumpkin ale's label. Likely to get more refining for this coming fall's pumpkin season, but this is where it stands at the moment.

lee4me.jpg

And another set I'm very pleased with.

A Belgian trio (singel, tripel and quadrupel) fermented on yeast cake from the previous brew. I.e. the quadrupel fermented on yeast cake that had fermented both the single and the tripel.
I am using Norse runes as the basic.

Love the look. Where did you get the bottles?

These bottles are 330 ml standard Norwegian beer bottles (from the local super market). I live in Norway.

I don't do labels much but I have 10 gallons of a witbier for friends, so I figured, why not. Finding a good wit name isn't easy, especially since the names like Nitwit have been widely used, but a friend gave me inspiration. Here it is.

waltcoloredmug.jpg

I don't do labels much but I have 10 gallons of a witbier for friends, so I figured, why not. Finding a good wit name isn't easy, especially since the names like Nitwit have been widely used, but a friend gave me inspiration. Here it is.

What a great label. Excellent job. Where to you get your labels printed, or do you print them yourself? Interested in your process.

Back