Need inside dimensions for a 4912

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not at home so I can't measure my 4912 at the moment, but perhaps a more important measurement for you would be the dimensions of the kegs themselves:

http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Equipment-FAQ#corny_size
Bodensatz Brewing said:
There are 2 common sizes for 5 gallon / 20 litre corny kegs. The squatter ones are about 56 cm (22 inches) tall, and about 23 cm (9 inches) across in diameter. The taller ones are 63.5 cm (25 inches) tall, and 20 cm (8 inches) wide. Around here Pepsi are the taller ones and Coke the squatter, but in other areas it is the reverse. .

Assuming you're going to look at it in person in a store, you could cut out a couple circles of cardboard the size of a keg bottom and see if they fit, and make sure it's tall enough for clearance.

I'll try and get a measurement from my 4912 later, if nobody else beats me to it.

Home now, got some measurements from my 4912:
18" wide (measured between the little rails the shelves normally sit on)\
27+" high (from the highest bump in the bottom to the bottom of the thermostat box, it's about 28-29" high otherwise)
12" deep (from the front of the compressor "shelf" in back to the edge of the opening, with the door open - ie - not counting the door insert, which many people remove) and of course it's a couple inches deeper above the compressor shelf.

Thanks dude. The Sylvania is 16.5" wide, which may be a problem. I'm going to have to see what the dimensions of the kegs are if my LHBS has any. I'm hoping for 8", because I'm sure the fridge is deep enough if I remove the panel.

I think Canadian Tire has those on sale right now. I tried to check them out in the store but they only had them in boxes and wouldn't take one out for me. Please post when you figure the sizes!

Edit: I just measured 2 of my kegs (ball lock) side-by-side and they're 17 inches. :(

Thats' the one I'm looking at. I'm very surprised they wouldn't let you open the box to measure. What's the sense in processing a return if it won't suit your needs and you bring it back? The staff here was very helpful.

LHBS is closed right now, so I'm going to call tomorrow for keg dimensions and grab a couple if there is any. 17" might work....I think I could swing a half inch by chopping off the shelf rests on just one side. That and a little stagger might do it. It's such a nice price, I'd like to make it work. I grabbed a 9l pressure cooker at 40% off for my MLT, so I'm not totally bummed out

If you decide to go with that fridge let me know how it turns out. It seems to come on sale every couple months. You're right it's an excellent price for a nice looking fridge.

I have a Sanyo 4912. It holds 2 kegs across. The 5 lb tank sits between the kegs on the ledge behind them.

I need to rig up a hook to hold it into place to the cold element on the back (inside) wall.

Kegs are 8" across.

It's tight, but I think it's do-able. The area around the temp controller is gonna be tricky, but I'm getting it tomorrow if I can get 8" kegs. I think that's what this guy is using, I can't see 9's fitting in there like that, and I'm pretty sure it's the same fridge.

mr x said:
It's tight, but I think it's do-able. The area around the temp controller is gonna be tricky, but I'm getting it tomorrow if I can get 8" kegs. I think that's what this guy is using, I can't see 9's fitting in there like like, and I'm pretty sure it's the same fridge.
As you can see I left the door and shelves in. Some brewers remove it. 8" cornies...like this:

My-Kegerator-00.jpg

mr x said:
It's tight, but I think it's do-able. The area around the temp controller is gonna be tricky, but I'm getting it tomorrow if I can get 8" kegs. I think that's what this guy is using, I can't see 9's fitting in there like like, and I'm pretty sure it's the same fridge.
The interior certainly looks identical to what is on the canadian tire site. Too bad the guy didn't post the model #, that would certainly make it easy.

Those temp controllers sometimes have a housing over them that can be removed to make some extra room. I think the main problem I would have is that I won't be able to afford a tower setup immediately so I'd have a whole bunch of beer line with cobra faucets to squeeze inside too.

I bought the fridge and picked up one keg. It's going to be pretty much like in the pics. If I work at it, I think I can get two in side by side without tearing the door insert off. Just trim down the rubber at the top and bottom of the kegs and probably trim off the shelf bracing on one side. The only problem then is clearing the temp controller. I think if I removed one side of the rubber carrying handle it would go. I'll be working at it over a couple of weeks and let you know.

Well, I've been picking away at this, and it looks promising. I decided to try and remove the temp controller from the side and move it out of the way. I frigged with it until I gave up and used a small hole saw to open up the front face and look inside. Of course, it was then quite obvious that there was a screw holding it to the side wall. The screw was hidden behind what looked to me to be a temp dial marker (it's a blue comma shaped plug). I just picked it off with my finger and pulled out the screw. Anyway, no damage done, there is a lot of empty space in there. Now the entire unit slides forward on a slot and post (post is under the light at the back), and comes off very easy.

Now I can get it up out of the way and clear the keg. It may still be tight with the ball lock connectors on, which I don't have yet, but I think that it will all fit underneath. I can RTV the controller to the top of the fridge, and that should be that. If necessary, I can probably tear off some of the plastic housing around the controller, but I am going to try and keep this as neat looking as possible.

Now to fit two kegs side by side, I think I have two options. Tear out the door panel, or cut down the shelf guides on one side of the fridge. I think I will try to cut down the side(s), and leave the door panel on, it may be useful. I am working on another keg (which are difficult to source in NS...grrrrr), and once I have that, I will start measuring and ripping and let you know how things are going for those of you interested in using this type of fridge.

I can't post pics, so you'll have to go on imagination for now.

Great to hear Mr X! Gives me hope that I'll have my kegerator the next time it goes on sale at Crappy. I have a couple ball lock kegs if you need some specific measurements (the height with QD's connected for example), PM me if I can help at all.

I'm just waiting on the postman for some hardware, so it shouldn't be long before I can let you know for sure. I can e-mail pics when I have more progression, next week sometime.

Well it's coming along nicely. It's tight (or as I like to think really efficient use of space.lol), but it fits good. I had to cut down on the rubber on opposite sides of the kegs and remove the shelving from one side of the fridge with a dremel. Pretty easy stuff. If I can find a way to post pics, I'll show you what I did.

Pics:

Temperature controller
http://i8.tinypic.com/4tq6ux5.jpg

Main screw (phillips) is under that little blue cover by the dial. You can see the mount post on the side of the fridge. I think i can move the post up as well and fully remount the controller. I think there is a way to slide the post in the slot and screw it down when you position the controller (look under the silver tape behind the light bulb for access).

Door work in progress:
http://i11.tinypic.com/63imfwx.jpg

I used a dremel with a steel cutting wheel to make short work of the shelving. Just a quick pry with a butter knife pops it off the foam insulation. I then rough cut off some of the foam and smoothed out the rest with a sanding wheel as I cleaned up the work. You need every millimeter so sand down your work flush to the wall. It would have been nice I could have left enough of the shelf support (an inch) at the front to support the shelf if I ever wanted to use the fridge for something different, and put the shelves back in, but I don't think it would work. Something to think about for anyone about to do this. And I would cut back another inch of shelving from what you see there regardless.

I thought that I would have some use for the door panel, so I decided to try and get them in side by side and keep the door as is. I'll post a pic in 10 min of how it looks.

I don't see the need to reseal where I cut out the shelves (other than cosmetic), but if I was going to do it, I think my only option would be to skim a very thin layer of white silicone over the foam. I might try that if once I get the rest of my brewing house in order.

As a side note, I think the cooling lines are confined to the square space at the back of the fridge, so I'm pretty confident I can drill a hole for my C02 line with few worries. I'll update when I get that done.:)

That's definitely a tight fit. Great pics again mr x! You may want to seal the foam because any moisture in it will cause it to start to rot. Metal tape would probably work well for that, or you could do a skim coat of silicone as you suggested.

Is there not enough height on the compressor hump for a 5lbs tank? I was personally hoping for a self-contained unit but if it won't fit it won't fit.

I got thinking about it, and maybe it should be sealed. I have lots of metal tape, But the silicone would look better I think. I'll try the silicone first. It is a tight fit - the rubber needs to be trimmed of the sides of the kegs to make it work. But it's not too much work. I have a new 20lb tank, so it'll be outside for sure. I'm not sure about a 5 lb tank, but it would probably fit. If you need some dimensions, I can get them for you.

In case I'm not the only one who was waiting for this Sylvania to go back on sale, Canadian Tire has it on sale again this week. I'll be picking mine up this weekend!

I just put a small 12v fan in. Stuck it to the top front corner with velcro. It made a massive difference in fridge operation. I was getting a huge temp difference between the top and the bottom without it. Now the whole thing stays ice cold. Cost $1.49 at princess auto.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I hope to get mine this weekend sometime. I don't have a tower yet so I figured I'd relocate the temp controller and get the door ready, then do some tests to find the setting on the dial that I want. Nice thing is it's getting cold at night now so I figure I'll leave my kegs out overnight to cool way off so the fridge doesn't have to do much work. :)

The thing with my setup was with the two kegs jammed in there, there seemed to be no cooling circulation at all. Even at max setting, I could only get 11 degrees c at the top, and 4-5 c at the bottom. Was causing problems with the co2 coming out of solution in the beer line at the top and causing foam. Just a little circulation (the fan only uses .1 a at 12 v) fixed all that - I actually froze the beer line. I'm playing with my settings now, but I can tell you it fixed the foam problem instantly, and I can run at a nice pressure.

Well, it's not pretty at the moment. I have the smallest wattage 12v wall transformer I could find for power. I cut the end and spliced it to the small gauge fan wires. Stupid in retrospect, but I have little patience sometimes when I want to try something. The fan wires are so thin that i just closed the door on them.

Was a good setup for a trial, and now that I know it works, I'll probably go to Circuit City and grab a proper 12V dc female connector and drill through the side and do it right.

What about powering off the light bulb leads? My multimeter is at work (or I would check my fridge) but a quick check would reveal if you could just use that.

Latest posts

Back