Brass ball valve in Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I can think of would be corrosion. I would hate to see something green anywhere near my kettle :D

Many people would say that you need to pickle it to prevent possible lead contamination, but others would give the thumbs up. I have brass ball valves all over my setup.

Yeah, that's basically what I've read. Thanks.

Is there any reason to make it 1/2" ID instead of 3/8" ID? I don't want to have to buy a more expensive step drill bit.

If you're ever planning on using a pump, I would go with 1/2. I originally had 3/8 on all my stuff and just upgraded last month to 1/2.

If you're ever planning on using a pump, I would go with 1/2. I originally had 3/8 on all my stuff and just upgraded last month to 1/2.

+5 on this! Pump performance is greatly affected by the diameter of any pipe, hose or fittings in the circuit. Much more so than might be expected. Bigger is better in this case.

Many people would say that you need to pickle it to prevent possible lead contamination, but others would give the thumbs up. I have brass ball valves all over my setup.

All parts inside that possibly touch beer are SS anyway. I say thumbs up and no worries!

Cool. Thanks for the replies people. Pumps aren't even remotely in my immediate future anyway. And I have the 3/8" parts laying around already. I'll just upgrade in a few years if needed.

Back