LABELING - Before or after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
First batch bottling question:

As I prepare to bottle in a couple of days, do I label first or bottle first?

Obviously, labeling empty bottles would seem easier and less apt to disturb the already-bottled beer due to overhandling. At the same time, is there typically overflow, handling, etc. during filling that could mess up the labels? My labels are laserprint, will be stuck on with milk.

Thanks.

Always after. You never know how many you will fill and it does tend to get messy at time. Dont worry about over handling them in bottles. Unless you are shaking them up, it will be fine!

Label last. You want to sanitize the bottles which will get them wet. Then I usually give them all a shower after capping. You want dry and clean bottles to label. I usually label if I give them away (sometimes) and because the people have to chill them for a day or so, it will let the beer settle. It's really not hard putting a label on a full bottle.

Cool. Thanks. Had I not asked, I think I may have labeled first. Labeling last makes a whole lot more sense considering the san before and shower after capping.

Label after bottling. A ny beer spillage when bottling will stain the labels and may dissolve whatever adhesive you're using. (I use GluStic, which comes off pretty easily with beer or water).

Thanks again. Bottled first batch last night. If it looks like beer... if it smells like beer... if it tastes like beer... Does that mean it IS beer?

Just finished labeling my FIRST batch of bottles. I used:

shallow plastic dish (like coldcuts come in)
1/2 cup of milk
clean, folded dishcloth (or sponge)
another clean, slightly damp dishcloth
clean, dry dishtowel

Laid the folded dishcloth in the dish and poured the milk over it. Took each bottle of beer, laid it on the dish towel, wiped label area with the damp cloth and wiped dry with the towel. Dabbed a label on the milk-soaked dishcloth (just enough to get the back wet and not soak the whole label), and placed it on bottle and gently smoothed it out with the damp cloth. Gave it a quick press with the towel and stuck it in the case. I rinsed and wrung out the damp dishcloth about halfway through the batch, as it was getting a little milky from wiping the labels.

50 bottles, 15 min., done.

Yeah, the milk really seemed to be the easiest, cheapest and fastest. Plus, they come right off (I'm told) when it comes to re-purposing bottles. Remind me to switch to a rectangular label next time around. Cutting out those ovals was a killer --- but they look great!

A glue stick will also work great for adhering your labels. Just a quick soak and they come right off.

You need to show us a pic of the finished product.

I love the milk method. I did eventually get tired of labeling and now just sharpie the caps.
I started with this system. Seems to work, I only have enough bottled at any given time to know exactly what is in there by the batch #, and it disappears when the bottle gets emptied. I'm thinking some "toe tag" style labels for my swing top bottles.
Label last. You want to sanitize the bottles which will get them wet. Then I usually give them all a shower after capping. You want dry and clean bottles to label. I usually label if I give them away (sometimes) and because the people have to chill them for a day or so, it will let the beer settle. It's really not hard putting a label on a full bottle.
This is a good idea. I usually end up being too worn out after bottling - doing it after dinner after work, and leave the bottles where the stand overnight. Next morning half of them are stuck to the counter or stovetop. :smack:

Back