Male camlock marring/scraping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renthispace

Reaction score
I just stated putting my new setup together with camlocks for all connections. I read about some camlock orings being tight and to leave them clamped overnight to set the gasket. Well, they've been mated together for over a week, and even with olive oil on the arms of the female to reduce friction there are marks being left on the male. Is this normal? I know it shouldn't be a problem as its not on the surface of the gasket, but it seems like excessive wear.

IMG_20130917_163649.jpg

Those are actual gouges on the surface? Yeesh. No, I've never seen that happen before. I'm thinking the female that this was connected to has something on one of the cams that's gouging the metal. Not good. Don't use that female camlock anymore.

Yes I'm pulling the arms at the same time. Its interesting to note that the contact arms of this female looks very smooth whereas some of the others (that I have not used) have a ridge on the contact surface. I can only imagine how well those will leave the male camlock... I'll contact the vender that I bought them from and see if this is abnormal for their stock.

I guess I'm missing something?

Anyway, regarding the gasket there is 1 but its really fat. The vender had something on their site about the gaskets being hard and to 'break them in by leaving them clamped a few days'. I did that and there is a dent in the gasket but its still too large.

Guess I'll have to wait for the venders response.

I will tell you first, that I haven't had any experience with camlocks for making beer or any other food processes, but I have worked in the oilfields for a decade now and I have fixed, repaired and installed tens of thousands of camlocks.

Unless you leave the two locked together for months, you aren't going to see any noticeable indention in the gasket, matter of fact, if you do notice an indention at any time, throw it away and replace it.

That slight scuffing/marring on the surface of the male, is pretty normal. Over the coarse of it's life, (several hundred mates), it will become more prominent. Eventually the ridge will wear so far down the female cams cannot sufficiently grab the male, in the oilfields we use shims or hack saw blades to fix it until we can replace it when this happens. The shims are special made and super cheap, sometimes we use them on new camlocks if they are not the same brand or fit just a bit loose.

Camlocks 8 inches and below are standard shapes, but using two different brands together doesn't always produce the best result.

I love to hit new camlocks with a wire brush and a bit of lubrication.

I like to flip flop gaskets over from time to time.

Some cam locks can be oval shaped when they are new, and they will never seal correctly. This warping can also occur over time if significant weight is placed on the camlock. Avoid this if possible.

When you connect camlocks, be sure to orient the female differently each time, in other words where the ears are the last time, you want them shifted 90 degrees the next time. THIS makes them last a lot longer without leaking.

Though there are some special high pressure camlocks, yours doesn't appear to be one. Most camlocks, regardless of what the manufacturer says, will only hold 25-40 psi predictably. Anything above that is a crap shoot to whether it will drip or not.

Smaller camlocks, like 3 inch and below, are a real pain to connect and discoonect, and I don't know why. Just try to start both sides evenly and take your time, if you force them with a hammer, the ears will break easily. The ears can be replaced on most camlocks though, so don't throw one away over a broken ear!!

As most camlocks are made from aluminum, if you place them into a steel fitting, over time they seize up and will never come apart again. After applying moderate pressure with a pipe wrench, and they don't budge, leave it alone. Better to have a stuck fitting that works, than none at all. Broken camlocks can be removed with a chisel but it's quite difficult to not ruin the other fitting when doing so.

Camlocks generally won't even go together with 2 gaskets.

If they fit TIGHT like yours appears to, you got a good set!

Edit:

Oh one more thing, many people have trouble getting camlocks apart. The trick is not to "pull" them apart. They aren't stuck "that" way. Gently tap the outside of the female left and right, (hope that makes sense), and it should just fall apart from the male. I've seen too many people with injuries by trying to pull hoses apart!

Hope this helps you at least a little.

I will tell you first, that I haven't had any experience with camlocks for making beer or any other food processes, but I have worked in the oilfields for a decade now and I have fixed, repaired and installed tens of thousands of camlocks.

Unless you leave the two locked together for months, you aren't going to see any noticeable indention in the gasket, matter of fact, if you do notice an indention at any time, throw it away and replace it.

That slight scuffing/marring on the surface of the male, is pretty normal. Over the coarse of it's life, (several hundred mates), it will become more prominent. Eventually the ridge will wear so far down the female cams cannot sufficiently grab the male, in the oilfields we use shims or hack saw blades to fix it until we can replace it when this happens. The shims are special made and super cheap, sometimes we use them on new camlocks if they are not the same brand or fit just a bit loose.

Camlocks 8 inches and below are standard shapes, but using two different brands together doesn't always produce the best result.

I love to hit new camlocks with a wire brush and a bit of lubrication.

I like to flip flop gaskets over from time to time.

Some cam locks can be oval shaped when they are new, and they will never seal correctly. This warping can also occur over time if significant weight is placed on the camlock. Avoid this if possible.

When you connect camlocks, be sure to orient the female differently each time, in other words where the ears are the last time, you want them shifted 90 degrees the next time. THIS makes them last a lot longer without leaking.

Though there are some special high pressure camlocks, yours doesn't appear to be one. Most camlocks, regardless of what the manufacturer says, will only hold 25-40 psi predictably. Anything above that is a crap shoot to whether it will drip or not.

Smaller camlocks, like 3 inch and below, are a real pain to connect and discoonect, and I don't know why. Just try to start both sides evenly and take your time, if you force them with a hammer, the ears will break easily. The ears can be replaced on most camlocks though, so don't throw one away over a broken ear!!

As most camlocks are made from aluminum, if you place them into a steel fitting, over time they seize up and will never come apart again. After applying moderate pressure with a pipe wrench, and they don't budge, leave it alone. Better to have a stuck fitting that works, than none at all. Broken camlocks can be removed with a chisel but it's quite difficult to not ruin the other fitting when doing so.

Camlocks generally won't even go together with 2 gaskets.

If they fit TIGHT like yours appears to, you got a good set!

Edit:

Oh one more thing, many people have trouble getting camlocks apart. The trick is not to "pull" them apart. They aren't stuck "that" way. Gently tap the outside of the female left and right, (hope that makes sense), and it should just fall apart from the male. I've seen too many people with injuries by trying to pull hoses apart!

Hope this helps you at least a little.

All of this I'm sure is very good advice for oil rig camlocks, and maybe the big brewery camlocks, but we're dealing with 1/2" stainless steel camlocks here, that might see 5 psi on a tough day. That marring isn't normal for a stainless steel 1/2" camlock.

Maybe the male isn't stainless and he's using it with a stainless steel female. That could be the cause of the marring.

We use plenty of half inch stainless camlocks as well, but I'm thinking the ears are the same on e'm all whether they are brass, aluminum or, stainless.

To me that marring doesn't look that bad, just looks like a new camlock that hasn't been used many times. It's hard to tell how deep they are from the picture though I'll admit.

If they are pretty deep, then it could be two different brand camlocks, or he didn't quite have the male ineserted enough when he started tapping the ears in place. As the OP mentioned, it's not on the sealing surface so it won't affect it in that regard, but over time it will wear more and more until the point a shim is required, or the camlock needs to be replaced.

I guess I'm missing something?

People from the "Bay Area" tend to forget that there's more than one bay in the United States. I was making a joke to my fellow Chicagolandian about one of our local (in)famous bays - Green Bay. Green Bay Packers. Ah, skip it.

Back