First BIG batch tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm making my first 4 gallon batch tonight, as the demand in the house has gone up now that my son is drinking the KT before and after tae kwon do :p

4 gallons of water, the remnants of what KT I had left, 32 tea bags- 5 green tea and 27 oolong; a little under 4 cups of sugar (since my scoby will need to grow to fit a 6 gallon fermenting pail and I dont want to risk going out of balance on such a large batch) and of course my scoby!

Water just finished boiling and I added my tea and sugar! I'm happily thinking of all the KT I'm going to have on hand :ban:

That is pretty impressive. I hope it goes well for you. I should be getting a scoby in the mail soon and I am also attempting to grow my own. Good luck!!

Thanks! I found a great little area in the house to store the fermenter pail that's out of sight but still maintains a decent, level temperature. This size a batch should have a bit of buffer against overheating/cooling too much. Plus I can switch pails easily enough and have a continuous brew going with multiple flavors :)

I eventually want to make it to continuous brew but right now I will stick my quart jars on top of the fridge.

Totally. Start slow, and then when you're serious about never wanting to run out of it again, then go continuous brew.

I am curious to know how long it takes to ferment and how it comes out, please post when it is ready!

Well, I left it untouched last night vecause I didnt want to disturb the formation of the culture. I'll probably leave it another day or two before touching it, but not much more than that as I already have an 8 inch scoby in there; it should be fairly speedy after the first couple to three days

Ok I checked it last night and there was a funny looking discovery. Im not sure what it was but it was like a bunch of potato roots under the surface of the tea. Almost coming up from the bottom like some sort of tree. Whitish in colour, anyone experienced this?

That my friend sounds like a colony of yeast. Im guessing they are kind of tan to brown in color?

Yip, just looked again and caught a pic this time! It isn't looking quite like I remember it, they're stringy and not very long and go from surface, just under, and then back to the surface. Heart attack on pause now hahaha

Edit- its starting to get a nice layer of new scoby built up in the top now too!

ForumRunner_20130301_221442.png

ForumRunner_20130301_221458.png

Yup, looks perfectly healthy to me. Once the yeast do their job, the bacteria will do theirs.

Back