What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to get rid of some of the non-hoppy commercial beers in the fridge.

I finally settled on drinking a little bit of my special ale (homebrew) mixed with apfelwein!

Ohhhh, love it!!!

beers from a recent swap

om nom nom nom nom nom

:D

EDIT: brett! quote for you from borat:

“I cannot believe that it possible a woman can become Premier of US and A - in Kazakhstan, we say that to give a woman power, is like to give a monkey a gun - very dangerous. We do not give monkeys guns any more in Kazakhstan ever since the Astana Zoo massacre of 2003 when Torkin the orang-utan shoot 17 schoolchildrens. I personal would like the basketball player, Barak Obamas to be Premier.”

This is actually last night, but I had the opportunity to finally indulge in some of my Samhain Surprise Robust Porter last night...nice and dark with bittersweet and chocolate flavors. It still needs to mellow a little, there's some astringency, but it's mighty tasty.

Last night I enjoyed a little caramel cream ale, apfelwein, and the last of my sierra nevada clone. That's just what happens when there is football on tv (even if it was sage rosenfels (not going to take the time to even see how you spell that name as it should be the last time I ever type it)).

A few days ago we were predicted to have a major ice storm that would shut the city down. In anticipation of a day off from work (which turned out to be the case with everything shut down and power out) I went to the adult beverage store and bought a few individual bottles of beer I've never tried:

Reissdorf Kolsch
Hobgoblin Dark English Ale
Uerige Altbier (Tall skinny flip top bottle!)

The Kolsch: I have never drank or made a kolsch in 20 years of homebrewing! It had a berry fruitiness that I wasn't expecting, but not unpleasant at all. Is that common for Kolsch? I'm looking at jumping over a late winter scottish heavy for my next beer and doing a Kolsch. Good stuff! This was the real McCoy, imported from Cologne.

Hobgoblin: Pretty tasty. I don't know if I would seek out a clone recipe, but I wouldn't turn down a bottle if offered. A session beer it ain't, but a nice blend of fruity chocolate and bitter.

Altbier: Never been my favorite style and this wasn't different. From all that I've tried and all that I've read of the style, this was a faithful and true rendering that just confirmed....altbeir is not for me. Too harsh. I like the hops to fight back against the sweet maltiness, but never win. Here it not only wins, it kicks tail.

In between I enjoyed New Belgiums 2 Degrees Below and some of my Urquell clone on tap. All in all a good ice-in day!

cowgo said:
Altbier: Never been my favorite style and this wasn't different. From all that I've tried and all that I've read of the style, this was a faithful and true rendering that just confirmed....altbeir is not for me. Too harsh. I like the hops to fight back against the sweet maltiness, but never win. Here it not only wins, it kicks tail.

This one is known for beeing at the upper end when it comes to Alt bitterness. Most otheres are actually more along the lines of pilsner bitterness.

Kai

Kaiser said:
This one is known for beeing at the upper end when it comes to Alt bitterness. Most otheres are actually more along the lines of pilsner bitterness.

Kai
Could you recommend a good altbier that might be readily available? Good beer is good beer, preconceived notions be damned.

Grolsh.

And to think, I've got a 6er of Oberon and a 6er of Two Hearted and a 6er of Cherry Stout (Sadly, I think it's disgusting) and I'm drinking Grolsh.

Bought an assorted variety of beers today including Dogfish Head 90min IPA. I've tried the 60 min, but not this until right now. This beer is awesome, nice and hoppy with a suprising alcohol kick. It's leaving a nice warming sensation in my stomach right now. Glad I bought the 4-pack

Other beers I bought

Rogue- Santa's Private Reserve
Unibroque- Trois Pistoles
Pike Brewing- Kiltlifter
Elysian ESB
2007 Alaskan Smoked Porter
McEwan's Scotch Ale
Orkney-Skullsplitter

McKBrew said:
Bought an assorted variety of beers today including Dogfish Head 90min IPA. I've tried the 60 min, but not this until right now. This beer is awesome, nice and hoppy with a suprising alcohol kick. It's leaving a nice warming sensation in my stomach right now. Glad I bought the 4-pack

I love the 90 minute Dogfish. I have tried to get my hands on their 120 minute, but can't ever find it.

I am drinking Flying Dog Pale Ale right now. Not bad. Not great, but nothing to really complain about.

cowgo said:
Could you recommend a good altbier that might be readily available? Good beer is good beer, preconceived notions be damned.

This particular style is pretty hard to come by here in the US. I haven't found any so far. Which must be the reason why many home brewers think that Alt have to be ueber bitter beers.

Even when I was in Germany I found only one kind of Alt. It was the Shloesser Alt and I remember that the bitterness was comparable to a northern German Pils (like Jever or Holsten).

Kai

Drank the Skullsplitter tonight. Another excellent beer, two dollars well spent.

Tonight it's my EF clone on tap mostly. I'm also gong to sample a few bottles including Holiday Ale, Kölsch, and Ordinary Bitter.

Started out with a Green Flash Imperial IPA, then on to Naked City Hopocalypse Now Imperial IPA and now I'm drinking a 2007 Alaskan Smoked Porter

Short Drive said:
Last night: Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale, New Glarus Smoke on the Porter, and three fingers of Knob Creek.

How did you like the Smoke on the Porter, man I love the stuff. I hope they make it a regular.

Last night I had a growler of Silver Creek Porter and bottle of Tyranena Hop Whore Imperial IPA

Not really my thing. To me it tasted a tad thin. But I have nothing to compare it to. But the Double Dog was sweet and bitter (85 IBU) with an abv of 10.5% kicked my butt. Or maybe it was the three fingers of bourbon.:)

You need to be part of our SEWAGE group.

hmm...i think i'll be going to the bar tonight, which means i'll be drinking pyramid hefeweizen. meh. they also have sierra nevada and fat tire, both of which i'm not a very big fan. wish they had something else on tap. maybe i'll just have some bottles of red stripe to pass the time cheaply while i play pool.

So far I've put down a a SN Celebration Ale and a homebrew APA. I'm going to be opening an Oatmeal Stout here soon.

Right now I'm drinking a Stone XI Anniversary Ale. Man, I love this beer! Glad I bought a case of it when I did!:D

I had a glass of Rodenbach comma Affligem Noel comma a pint of Capital Brewery's Blonde Doppel Bock comma and a pint of Capital's Porter on a Beer engine. They were all very good.

Latest posts

Back