Mild steel brew structure coating options ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I'm starting to build a single tier brew stand. (3 vessels, 2 pumps)

I'd debating the mild steel versus SS approach.

My brew stand will be stored outside year round, unless someone can point me to an ultra compact fold down design. I'll bring it into the garage or put it on the deck when I want to brew. I'll put a tarpaulin cover on it when its outside.

What coatings are people using on mild steel and how are they standing up to heat, wort, weather, etc ?

Thanks

I used mild steel angle. 10ga 1 1/2" angle. I brush painted it with grill paint. I have had no trouble with it other than where the flame hits it. I just sand it at the beginning of the year ant touch those spots up. When finished, I tarp it down well and park it. Wish I had a garage. I get sick of putting all the valuables inside after brew day. Sure would be nice to roll it in and that's it. A man has to do what he has to do. I personally would never spen the cash on a stainless stand......just me, carbon steel is just too cheap and cheaper to weld.

You can paint it or have it powdercoated. Those are really your only options. If you have a local shop you may find powdercoating is not all that expensive. We have a local guy that I use occasionally at work. I think he charges something like $180 to do a motorcycle frame. A single tier would be much less complicated to coat and would probably be $100. Then again, a can of Krylon is only about $6.

With proper prep a decent paint should hold up very well under a tarp. Worst case you may have touch it up after a few YEARS.

Automotive stores have a variety of different paints and primers that etch metal and provide great adhesion. And they have high heat paint for brakes and blocks and manifolds that will hold up except for directly under the kettle (if you use flame heat).

Interesting replies.

I too feel that SS is overkill for a brewstand used for home brewing. But then again, I do not want to be brewing on an ugly, rusty stand.

For those that aren't aware, SS is much more prone to warp and distort with localized heating.

I would be OK with repainting my stand from time to time.

I think powder coating is out of the question as once you pay for it, you've covered a lot of the cost differential of going with SS in the first place.

Feel free to mention specific brand names and colors for paints and post up pictures of painted stands.

I can get 2x2x 11 gauge SS for $7.50 to $8 per foot from a local supplier.

2x2 mild steel is $2.15 for 0.100 wall and $2.58 for 0.125 wall.

I am going to need 40+ feet for my stand with a tippy for the mash tun.

The cost difference is a bit over $200 between 11 gauge SS and 0.125 mild steel.

I have a TIG and MIG welder and equipment to work with SS.

Is it worth $200 to go with SS over MS ?

I have always used the Rustoleum Ultra Stove Paint in a rattle can. If you go this route, be sure to get the "Ultra." It is a gloss finish. The flat finish smudges/rubs off like crazy.

I just picked up 50 feet of 2x2x 11 ga SS for $7/ft.

It will cost about $200 more in materials to make it in SS, but I think its worth it, especially being I am going to store it outside.

308 MIG welding wire for SS is expensive. $16 per pound. TIG wire is about half that, for some reason. I think its because the MIG wire needs to be annealed so it will feed through the gun.

I should have a nice stand when I am done.

Back