Holy $h!t - Westvleteren available in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
Just stumbled across this at my hometown bottle shop:

"Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren brews are considered the rarest in the world because, as they say on their site, 'The Westvleteren "Trappist" is sold exclusively at the abbey store, and only after having made a reservation by telephone...' OnBeer.org published a news-breaking & informative blog about the up-coming availability of Westvleteren Trappist to Alberta detailing how the monks' need for finances to accomplish renovations on the monastery led to the auctioning of additional production. In a bold entrepreneurial move, Canmore's Horizon Wines stepped up and acquired the exclusive Canadian distribution rights making this rarity available to us here in Alberta — our eternal thanks to you, Horizon! Your friendly neighborhood Keg n Cork has requested to have a few cases of the Westvleteren gift packs set aside for us when they become available some time in June or July of next year (2012).

The gift pack is made up of 6 bottles of Westvleteren 12º plus 2 Westvleteren glasses. The packs will be priced at $74.96 for those placing a pre-order with a $50 deposit, leaving the pre-orderers with a balance of $24.96 at pick-up. Don't delay! Place your pre-order in person or by phone at..."
:rockin:

Wow. Is this going on in the states? Is it going to be available every where like Orval? Did they up their production?

Rudeboy

The Westys have been available a few times here in Vancouver recently. My buddy, who's a bit more into the rare beers and beer-trading on BA and such than I am, has an 8 that he got during the summer and a 12 that he got more recently. We talked to the store owner after he got the first one, and she didn't even know how they got in the country (or she wasn't saying).

I don't get too crazy about this kind of stuff (especially guys re-selling rare beer for crazy prices) but it's nice to something so rare and exclusive getting more distribution. Hopefully the quality doesn't suffer with the increased volume.

I wish I could get it here in California. I had some last year. It is really good!

Back