Corn on the Cobb + Crystal Hot Sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
grilled corn on the cob
slather in butter
drenched with Crystal
this is the essence of summer

There is absolutely no finer way to enjoy corn on the cob than with Crystal.

Try it. If you're not completely satisfied...

call me and I'll finish your plate.

Sounds good, I like Crystal better than most hot sauces. Just have to be certain the wife doesn't get any on her corn.

Old fly-over state tip: If you are having a big do, get a couple of quart canning jars, fill with boiling water, melted butter and anything else you want on the corn. One dip and it's ready to eat.

Crystal? If you're not using Texas Pete, you are missing out. Actually, they might not distribute on the west coast come to think of it...

amateurs!!!! storebought hot sauce on a HOME BREW site?! damn, suckas! homebrew hot sauce is FAR superior!

Crystal? If you're not using Texas Pete, you are missing out. Actually, they might not distribute on the west coast come to think of it...

Checked out the website for Texas Pete, but it wasn't very descriptive. It might be similar to Crystal, but it might not. How does it compare to Tabasco?

There are several brands of hot sauce that are close to the "Louisiana" style of Crystal. Tabasco is not one of them. I love Tabasco. If could only have one hot sauce it would be Tabasco. But for corn on the cob, Tabasco is not a good choice.

Eating corn off the cob involves quite a bit of lip contact. For whatever reason, Tabasco is quite hot on your lips. Crystal is not. Additionally, there is something about the vinegary twang of Crystal that takes the cobbed corn to another level.

My question, Hokie, would be is Texas Pete closer to Crystal or Tabasco? If it's closer to Tabasco, maybe give Crystal a try next time.

Texas Pete is closer to Crystal than Tabasco. I much prefer Crystal, seems to have a better flavor IMO.

Texas Pete Louisiana style hot sauce is made in NC, btw. Weak.

I'm just sad they moved the Crystal factory up the river after Katrina...

LOL damn.. now I want to go get some corn so I can experiment with different hot sauce.

By the way.. www.peppers.com is a good place to order from if they don't carry a specific brand at your local store. They have just about every brand, as well as stuff like Chicago style giardinera.. yum!!

LOL damn.. now I want to go get some corn so I can experiment with different hot sauce.

By the way.. www.peppers.com is a good place to order from if they don't carry a specific brand at your local store. They have just about every brand, as well as stuff like Chicago style giardinera.. yum!!
Peppers.com is awesome! Their shop in Rehoboth Beach is unbelievable! The owner is super nice as well.

The Mexicans I have worked with butter the corn while it is grilling, rub mayo on it, then dust it with straight cayenne. The cayenne, smoky-ness, and rich butter/mayo is mighty nice. Cayenne is hot, but does not burn like Tabasco.

Sean, you lost me at mayo...

In case anyone cares, here's my method for CotC on the grill:

Peel back the husk, but do not remove it
rinse and remove as much of the fiber a possible
sprinkle with salt, close up the husk and wrap in aluminum foil
toss on top of, or beside the coals
cook at least 20, better 30-40 minutes
unless your fire is super hot, the husk and foil will keep it from getting burned
a couple of char spots here and there is OK by me

Now there is another debate. If you leave the husk on, and wrap in foil. You are not grilling the corn. You are steaming it. The corn needs to, wants to, must, feel the direct heat of the grilll....If it does not have blackness on it, it is not done!

I usually lay it right on or next to the coals*. If you're placing it on the grill you can get away without the husk and foil.

*gas is for sissies, but I guess that's another thread

I like the husky musk flavor sometimes, especially when I am going to take it off the cob to serve. It keeps the kernals moist and lovely, adds a dimension. And I do like chrystal and butter, tops on fried wings!!

I like the gas grill caveat!!

My usual method of corn prep is whole corn with the husk on, grilled on the BBQ, then buttered and then your choice of lemon pepper, Tapatio, or my favorite, Cholula.

Last night we had already husked corn, so we wrapped it in foil, with a little butter inside. The corn lightly fried in the butter while on the grill, so that parts were a nice browned color. Very delicious.

I've tried Texas Pete, Lousiana, and Crystal. They're all good and I wouldn't be unhappy with any of them but Crystal is what's in my pantry. Cholula is good too and comparable to the others (relative to Tabasco).

I like Tabasco too and have really been liking the Chipotle Tabasco lately.

Gonna have to try this.

My favorite way to do corn -

Remove husk - the only way for grilling. I love the browining/caramelization/miallard reactions that happen when corn is grilled directly over a hot flame.
put on hot grill (or 400 degree oven)
when warm spread on some butter
periodically douse with lemon juice (don't know exactly what it is, but lemon juice while grilling at high heat makes the corn fantastically tender while maintaining that satisfying crunch/juciness)
Remove when some of the more sugary kernels start turning brown or black

Brush with mayonaise (yes, the Mexicans are onto something here!). You don't need a lot. Season with salt/pepper.

Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (the real stuff, not that nasty pre grated crap that is a disgrace to the name "Parmesean").

Louisiana and Crystal are just too salty for me. I can feel my blood pressure rising when I use them.

Tabasco is just awful. The consistency is so thin and it adds no flavor whatsoever. The green and the chipotle are decent though.

My favorite way to do corn -

Remove husk - the only way for grilling. I love the browining/caramelization/miallard reactions that happen when corn is grilled directly over a hot flame.
put on hot grill (or 400 degree oven)
when warm spread on some butter
periodically douse with lemon juice (don't know exactly what it is, but lemon juice while grilling at high heat makes the corn fantastically tender while maintaining that satisfying crunch/juciness)
Remove when some of the more sugary kernels start turning brown or black

Brush with mayonaise (yes, the Mexicans are onto something here!). You don't need a lot. Season with salt/pepper.

Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (the real stuff, not that nasty pre grated crap that is a disgrace to the name "Parmesean").

hhmm. nice. It sounds great, but sounds like it would taste like parm and citrus, and not so much corn. But I may try it anyway, because it sounds killer good.

None of that South American parm either. Regginito ain't Reggiano!!

Latest posts

Back