Sam Adams Winter Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny. . .I have actually heard some people say that and I have not noticed any issues. I have been drinking it since it came out and it continues to be one of my favorites. Have you had a lot? Could it be the particular batch you are drinking?

sam adams this year in general kind of sucked. i used to be a huge fan of ocktoberfest, this year just tasted too sweet. maybe im just drinking better beers now

I have had it multiple times now this year and I have been very disappointed. It used to be one of my top 5 fav beers but maybe I just had not gotten out enough.

On tap I thought it was top notch but bottles have been hit or miss with me. Not sure why

I haven't noticed any difference in it, but there was a whole year in between tastings. Still one of my top beers.

Yeah I think I was let down on this too; but I also know that I have been drinking more craftbrews & homebrews than I normally do. I also still select this on tap when I go to my local watering hole (ha its Red Robin.. I have kids and thats really the only place I go that has beer on tap (or served)). I do prefer their summer ale though.. perhaps I enjoy summer more than winter season anyways :)

Maybe it's just me, but I think all of SPam Adams beers suck. And don't get me started on Jim Koch... listening to that guy, you'd think he invented fermentation.

Sorry, not trying to start a flame war, just my personal opinion. :eek:

there are a few threads of sam adams sucking this year.

anyway I agree. they're on time out for me for a while...

I had it over the holidays at a Buffalo Wild Wings (I think) and I noticed it was a little off. My initial impression was that the tap lines were dirty though, which may still be the case. It was still drinkable, but I moved on to Newcastle's for the rest of the evening.

Hadn't had it in years.

I had a few on tap about 2 weeks ago and thought it was great. So I took a six pack home last week, and was a bit dissapointed.

have some in my fridge but havent really had any before so I its a first impression for me but it tastes pretty good once you have enough of it :tank:

I gotta say, I love Sam Adams and I think that their brews are revolutionary in the sense that they introduce great beer to the average beer drinker, but after drinking more home brew along with other craft beers, Sam just kinda lacks that real robust flavor.

I had it on tap last night. I enjoyed it. The bottles I've had this year were a little tough.

I've only had one and it was on tap. I liked it.

Sort of on the same line. I had a Great Lakes Christmas Ale on tap and it was much too sweet for me. I've only had a few other of their beers and they erred on the side of hop. This one was just the opposite. I went online to check out reviews and most people getting the bottles were complaining about how BITTER a brew it was.....

I really haven't enjoyed it this year either, but to each their own.

I've really been enjoying Blue Point's Winter Ale this year.

I never liked Winter Lager. In fact, it's one of few beers I've ever dumped out.

Don''t forget the Cranberry Lambic, uhhh, excuse me while I hurl :drunk:

I have a 6'er of Winter and I'm not as motivated to drink it after having a few already. I'm more intrerested in Red Hooks winter and regular beers. They have AWESOME bottles to collect for homebrewing too IMHO :rockin: Check them out :rockin:

check where your batch came from. West of Penn. is distributed out of their Ohio Facility and east is from the one in Mass. Not sure if they still batch test as much as they used to now that they have 2 different operations. I got a bottle and it was drinkable and flavorful, but the spices seemed alittle more intense than in years past. I get the distro from the ohio facility though.

They changed the recipe this year for sure. It has orange peel and ginger in it now which it definitely had less of in years past.

sam adams this year in general kind of sucked. i used to be a huge fan of ocktoberfest, this year just tasted too sweet. maybe im just drinking better beers now

I could not agree anymore about their Oktoberfest. In fact every Oktoberfest I had this season tasted too sweet to me.

The Winter Lager this year I think is good, but it has to be consumed in moderation or else the flavor will really get to you a bit too much.

I also am beginning to really dislike their boston lager. I used to think it was really malty and complex, but it just kind of tastes like hop water to me now.

I agree, I have had the winter lager in multiple locations in multiple states and it has been a dissapointment each time. I detect little to no seasonal spices at all. It is just a run of the mill, richer dark lager to me at this time.

There octoberfest was also a dissapointment, too light bodied and overall weak to be a good octoberfest. I wonder of they are starting to just get too big. 4-5 years ago I was impressed with all of there seasonals.....they have gotten worse every year.

Back