Mr. Beer for Christmas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I'm considering giving a Mr. Beer kit to my dad and/or brother. They know nothing about homebrewing, but I think they'd enjoy it. I figure Mr. Beer is an all-in-one package and simple enough to give them a feel for the hobby. I've never used one, so I'm looking for feedback, pros/cons, from anyone who has. Thanks in advance.

Go for it! Mr Beer is a good gateway drug. However, if you could spring a few more bucks then yopu could go for a starter kit from midwest or similar

Mr Beer is what got a lot of us started on path to ruin! :)

Yeah Mr. Beer is always a great gift idea to introduce them to our "addiction". But a better idea might be spring for a cheap kit; but have them over first for a brew day and see how much they like the hobby. If they really like it it would make the purchase worth it or you could be all sneaky and after its done you can tell them "NOW GO MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN BEER AND I EXPECT 25% OF ALL FINAL BREWS!" :)

Yep, have them swap out the booster for a pound of DME and get a better yeast. I still use the thing often and I just keg each batch in a Tap-A-Draft bottle for simplicity. In fact, now that I have a way to do temp. control, I fermented their blonde ale can with some Notty at about 62 degree and was actually quite shocked what a difference that made. Right now I'm running the gamut from Mr. Beer to partial mash batches and everything in between.

go for it. i got one this past fathers day and i have since moved on to all grain but the 2 batches of mr beer i made we not that bad. and i still use the mr beer fermemter. it is kind of a pain to clean out but it works good for me. get them the mr beer so they can be pulled down into this obession/hobby or hobsession

I agree, whatever it takes... I still have 2 Mr. Beers in the basement.... get occasional use and the brown bottles are some of my favorites when I bottle!
My Father-in-law got a BeerMachine and in my opinion, I would not spend the extra $$ for it!
Either Mr. Beer or a basic equipment kit...

(and be sure to tell them about this site [like they won't run into it anyway if they Google just about anything homebrewing related!]).

It's a good idea, then after they brew a couple of those kits, you can get them to do other recipes (like the one's from here cut in half) in their brown keg. They can even do stove top full boil AG recipes in there. I put a lot of info on that in the mr. beer sticky we have here.

Thanks, everyone. I just pulled the trigger on the Premium Gold Edition for my dad - comes with the keg, bottles, and two kits. Frankly, my dad and I don't have a lot in common, so I'm hoping homebrewing will give us something to talk about. Thanks again for all the input.

Latest posts

Back