Starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
If a recipe suggests a 8L starter can I start with a 2L starter and step it up four times ?

How many times can a starter be stepped up ?

After chilling the starter and pouring off the wort do I need to chill the new wort to the same temp as the original before pouring it in ?

8 liters!!

I assume you are either making a really big batch or have some old yeast.

Yes you can step up multiple times, or you could just get a couple 1/2 gallon growlers and after the first starter split the next one into multiple vessels for the next step up. This way you can cut out a couple of steps depending on how many alternate vessels you have.

If you think this is a need you will have often ( 8 liters) you might want to pick up a couple 5 liter flasks or 1 gallon growlers.

After chilling the starter and pouring off the wort do I need to chill the new wort to the same temp as the original before pouring it in ?

After chilling the starter and pouring off the wort you want to bring the starter to about room temperature. (65-70 deg F) You then want to cool the new wort to within a couple degrees of this same temperature before you pour the yeast in.

Is it nescesary to bring the starter and wort to room temp ?
If the starter is chilled and the wort is chilled to the same temp I assume that would be OK ?

Back