Interesting read on mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehehe he called Papa Charlie, Charles... There's just something HiBrow about that.

He talks about mead not pairing well with food...He evidently has never eaten Ethiopian Food, especially at a higher end Ethiopian Resturant. It's traditional to drink Tej (Honey Wine) with the extreemly spicy and flavorful food.

sabatej.jpg

As a "bearded Dungeons & Dragons player" and mead-brewer, I feel like I should probably take some kind of offense.

Except that to properly christen our first batch (and my first recent batch) of mead we drank from my drinking horn (which holds about 30 fl oz, though we probably only filled it 2/3 of the way). So, yeah, I guess it's pretty spot on.

I also read the article this morning. It was interesting to see him note the increased interest in homebrewing in general and its impact on beer, wine, and spirit production in the U.S. But he clearly doesn't like mead, and seemed to take a little too much fun in poking at some of its consumers (D&D players, etc.).

mead is what got me started into brewing some 13 years ago! I was only 17, and got involved with the SCA charter that formed back in my hometown.

author is clearly an ass hat. the only comment I get when virgin lips first taste my mead is, "wow!" Pure delight.

The author is not a mead fan and finds SCA to be weird. I would say he was told to write a balanced article about mead but his opinions came through much too strong.

To me mead has nothing to do with SCA and while I don't have anything to do with SCA I don't see why the author would look down on them. I started experimenting with mead as an off shoot of my brewing. I have also experimented with several wines. Mead is easy to make and lends itself to experimentation. However the latency between making the must and tasting the properly aged results is difficult.

Craig

Back