Lavin-47 is a beast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I am making a cider. It fermented to 1.010. I wanted it to be a little sweet. It was still fermenting pretty strong so I stuck it in my fridge. About 38 degrees F. I left it in for 3 days and it didn't stop fermenting. Damn that yeast is a beast.

Yeah, that's partly why I like it! :) It works for a slow, cold fermentation, as in traditional cidermaking practiced in unheated barns in winter. Slow cold fermentation generally leaves more apple character in the cider. It will still usually go dry though. I found it was easier to develop a taste for dry cider than to make cider with residual sugar...

It works for a slow, cold fermentation...Slow cold fermentation generally leaves more apple character in the cider.

Huh, didn't know that. I may be using Lalvin-47 in my next batch then. Lager-cider, or something.

I actually prefer dry ciders, as too much sweet anything quickly becomes cloying to me. But yeah, getting a cider to ferment sweet without resorting to back-sweetening can be an exercise in frustration.

Lager-cider is pretty apt. I start fermenting in late fall, in an unheated room, so initial pitch is at temps in the 50s (F) and then it gets colder. Probably runs around 45-50 F most of the time, I just don't bother keeping track of temp. Takes anywhere from one to four months to ferment out. Occasionally I will get a stall (not with D47 but with 71B or others), sometimes those become stable semi-sweet ciders.

Interesting, D-47 always shuts down at 59*F for me. If you want to ferment low & slow but still take your cider dry, you might try Steinberg or Assmanhausen yeast, both strains are bred for just that purpose.
Regards, GF.

I just ordered 4 packets of 47, was thinking of trying some 1 gal batches of mead and cider, didn't know what yeast to get and read that 47 is a real stand out. Sounds like I'm gonna be happy with the results.

I can't really decide if I want to run it at 55F or 68F.

Latest posts

Back