Add fruit to secondary of hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcelher

Reaction score
So I brewed one batch of American light which went well. My 2nd batch I brewed a Bavarian hefeweizen from northern(5gal). Says bottle after 2 weeks which I want to do with3gallons. The other 2 gallons I want to ferment in two 1 gallon secondary's than bottle. Thoughts? What fruits?thinking oranges and pears in each. And thinking of freezing them or use hard liquor? Discuss?

Use extracts if you can, with 1 gallon secondaries, after adding enough fruit to actually flavor anything you will only be able to fit 1/2 to 3/4ths of a gallon in the fermenters.

Both oranges and Pears i think are too muted and would take a lot of fruit to actually impart any flavor. Use extracts, or most home brew shops sell fruit concentrates in cans, think fruit preserves you'd use for toast and thats what it looks like, without all the extra sugar of course :)

You can add any fruit you want... Some of the best stand out fruits IMHO are Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apricots, and peaches. I will let you know though that you will restart fermentation, and end up with a dry and tart beer.

Do not want a tart beer. I'll look into extracts. I just want to try something in 2 secondaries. Maybe even dry hoping a bit?

I racked my beer right on puréed strawberries. Let it sit for two more weeks and viola....strawberry flavor!! Adding extract can get out of hand. Add too much and you have over flavored beer. IMHO fresh fruit is always best!!

Latest posts

Back