Increasing Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasbrewer73

Reaction score
I’ve seen a number of threads with brewers asking how they can improve their mashing efficiency so I thought I’d create a thread with some things to consider when trying to improve your efficiency.

To start, I sometimes interpret people thinking efficiency relates to the quality of their beer. This is not the case. Efficiency refers to how much fermentable sugar you are getting from your grains as compared to what the maximum possible yield is (theoretically). I am of the opinion that people shouldn’t worry about aiming for efficiencies higher than 80%. The savings you would see at the scale of a homebrewer are miniscule. High efficiencies are great for breweries where it can be very cost effective to get every bit of sugar out of their grains.

Ultimately, efficiency is a personal preference. Some are happy with 55-60% and others get >80% and want to gain another couple of points. It’s all up to you. If you are happy with your results, keep doing what you’re doing and don’t feel like you have to achieve a higher efficiency just because others are attaining those levels. One final general note – efficiency is also a factor on how to adjust your grain bill. If you are using a recipe, people generally include what efficiency the recipe is designed to produce the results. It’s important to adjust your grain bill accordingly to achieve the same results as the recipe intended.

Calculation
How you calculate your efficiency is more important than any of the steps following. For measuring efficiency, you must use your pre-boil gravity reading (starting gravity) and compare that to what your maximum yield could be. I’ve read where people with high efficiencies are calculating their gravity with their post boil wort (original gravity). It's pretty easy to gain efficiency points that way, but it's inaccurate. Original gravity and final gravity are used for calculating the ABV. With your starting gravity, there are a number of websites that have calculators whereby you enter grain bill and then your starting gravity. So long as the method has each of your specific grains, most seem pretty reliable. Make sure your volume measurements correct. Make sure you read your hydrometer or refractometer correctly. Ensure you measuring devices are calibrated. Take good measurements. No matter what you do to improve your efficiency, it's only as good as the measurements you take.

Equipment
Mashtun equipment can play a large factor into your efficiency. Using too large of a mashtun will result in a shorter grain bed. Shorter grain bed will reduce your efficiency. If using a cooler, consider getting a smaller cooler. If you do different size batches (i.e. sometimes 5 gal, sometimes 10), considering getting a second smaller cooler for your smaller batches. Also, fly sparging is far more difficult in a rectangular cooler than a round cooler because the grain bed will not rinse as evenly. Your filtering mechanism plays a smaller role as well. If you are using a manifold filter, consider changing up your design. Perhaps what seems like a good design may create dead spots and does not allow wort to move through the grain bed efficiently. If you are using a braided hose, how do you have it in your mash tun? When lautering, wort is looking for the path of least resistance to get out. A coiled up braided hose doesn’t offer much area space that really provides for a good lauter. John Palmer does a great job of explaining the problems with some designs in his “How to Brew” book. Read it. Know it.

Process
I’m a big believer that process is the biggest factor in gaining efficiency, sans an incredibly poor grain crush. There are more variables involved with your process than equipment or grain crush combined.

Mashing
Stirring at the beginning and end of a mash is essential. In the beginning, it distributes the water evenly through the grain and prevents so-called dough balls from forming. At the end of the mash it allows for the grains and water to be agitated one last time. In between, the length and frequency of stirring varies from one person to the next. Choose the method that gives you the best results. Stir more frequently if you are only stirring once or twice during a mash. If you can stir less frequently and still achieve the same numbers, then do so and keep the heat in your mash tun. If you are doing a recirculation mash, look for channeling – some areas may not be re-circulating as well as others. Also, I’ve seen a number of ways to bring the wort back into your tun. Some have a tube going into the mash. I’ve seen manifolds that distribute the mash akin to a sparge arm. I’ve seen some that re-purpose the sparge arm for this. Re-circulating at a fast rate can cause the mash to only run through a portion of your mash. The manifold/sparge arm work best for me and yields a more consistent recirculation.

Sparging
Without debating the merits of batch sparging vs. fly sparging, suffice to say that both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. Whichever method you choose, remember that the point of sparging is to rinse the grain bed. If fly sparging, maintain a consistent level of water above the grain bed – this keeps the water moving through the grain bed at a consistent rate. As mentioned above, fly sparging isn’t a good method for rectangular coolers. If you are using a rectangular cooler and want to keep it, consider batch sparging instead. If batch sparging, keep an eye out for channeling. That’s a good indicator some grains aren’t getting rinsed as well as others. Additionally, make sure that your sparge water volume calculations are correct. If you are sparging too much water, you’re leaving sugar behind.

Mashout
Some will say that mashing out serves no merit anymore to the home brewer. Some swear by it. For me, I swear by it. Aside from what it does to the quality of your wort by ending the enzymatic functions, a mashout infusion provides more liquid to your mash to help capture the sugars with stirring (at least for non-direct fired mash tuns and non-decoction mashing). Additionally, raising the temperature of the mash will increase the solubility of sugars.

Lautering
From my experience, lauter rate is the single most effective way to increase or decrease efficiency in your system. Too slow, and the wort isn’t moving through the grain bed fast enough to effectively rinse the grain (not to mention is gives plenty of time for tannin extraction). Too fast and the wort doesn’t have a chance to be in contact with the grain long enough. You will also increase your chance of channeling. While there is no single rate that works for everyone with every type of setup, I’ve found that a general rule of thumb is about a quart a minute to a minute 20 seconds (15-20 seconds per cup). This can vary depending on your eqpt and your recipe. Though some say a slow lauter will always be better, I believe there is a point of diminishing returns.

Grain Crush
The second single most effective way to enhance your efficiency is with your grain crush. It’s hard to just compare a picture online of one’s grain crush and say “Yep – looks good to me”. Assuming all other things in your brew system are dialed in and have been honed to your liking (and your beer’s liking), a low efficiency could simply be your crush. Whether you buy a mill and crush your own grain or buy from a retailer already crushed, look at your grain. There should be very few grains still intact (not to be confused with grain husks). If that is not the case, run the grain through the mill a second time. If you are using your own grain mill, dial in the rollers a notch and run the grain through again. I think of the grain as balance – most should be decent sized chunks of a piece of grain in sizes roughly ½ to 1/3 the size of a whole kernel. There will be some flour and there will be a few uncrushed grains. Too much uncrushed, mill again. Too much flour, add rice hulls and carry on.

Mash pH and Water
This isn’t terribly common, but if your mash pH ranges swing too high or low, this too can affect your efficiency. Without getting into water chemistry too much, do what’s needed to be done to get your water in the mid 5’s (I aim for 5.4 and monitor it if I’m not familiar with the recipe or it’s something that I’m just unsure of the calculated results). Also, pay attention to your water source's Calcium (Ca) levels. Proper levels promote enzyme activity and liveliness, thus contributing to greater conversion. Shoot for Ca levels around 100 ppm.

Conclusion
This is meant to be a guideline to look at the many things that will help you get more fermentable sugar from your grain. It’s by no means all encompassing and is intended to be at the macro level. There are a number of reasons why efficiencies can be low. The main thing is to measure well, try different techniques and, if your budget allows, try different equipment. As I said before, efficiency isn’t something we should try to obtain the highest amount of. Your results should just be to your liking. At the end of it all, you’ll still be making beer. And that’s a good thing.

Nice write up!

I started with a round cooler and false bottom and have never varied. I have always had around or above 80% efficiency. IMO, round cooler/FB is a good recipe.

That said, good beer is not a function of extraction efficiency. Don't get too hung up on it.

Great write up!! All new all grain brews should read it. People get all hung about efficiency. I've gotten 65% efficiency before and the brew still came out great.

Don't forget that your efficiency is only as good as your measurements.

If you're relying on ale pail markings for volumes, crappy thermometers, and uncalibrated hydrometers/refractometers, your process doesn't matter much.

Thanks everyone! Just looking to provide a launching pad for anyone seeking to improve.

Don't forget that your efficiency is only as good as your measurements.

If you're relying on ale pail markings for volumes, crappy thermometers, and uncalibrated hydrometers/refractometers, your process doesn't matter much.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't drill into this too much, but I'm going to go back and edit to add that in.

Very nice write up as a solid launching point of the many variables involved in All Grain brewing!

Don't forget water. My city water had almost no calcium (necessary cofactor for enzymes) and that was affecting my efficiency. A few adjustments with Bru'N water and BAM. Problem solved.

Great Point. Just added that to the Mash pH section.

Great write-up.

A couple quibbles:

First, you can use post-boil gravity to calculate efficiency as long as you get an accurate measurement of your post-boil volume (in your kettle that is, not in your fermenter): Pre-boil (Volume * Gravity) == Post-boil (Volume * Gravity).

Second, while channeling is a major concern for fly sparging, it is not a concern for batch sparging. With fly sparging you're setting up a concentration gradient that needs to be equivalent across the surface of the bed, but with batch sparging you completely drain the mash tun, so it doesn't matter if some regions drain more quickly than others. For this same reason, vessel shape, bed depth, and type of filter (manifold, hose braid, etc.) are not so important for batch sparging as they are for fly sparging.

First, you can use post-boil gravity to calculate efficiency as long as you get an accurate measurement of your post-boil volume (in your kettle that is, not in your fermenter): Pre-boil (Volume * Gravity) == Post-boil (Volume * Gravity).

Second, while channeling is a major concern for fly sparging, it is not a concern for batch sparging. With fly sparging you're setting up a concentration gradient that needs to be equivalent across the surface of the bed, but with batch sparging you completely drain the mash tun, so it doesn't matter if some regions drain more quickly than others. For this same reason, vessel shape, bed depth, and type of filter (manifold, hose braid, etc.) are not so important for batch sparging as they are for fly sparging.

Thank you.

For simplicity's sake, I promote taking a gravity reading pre-boil rather than go through yet another calculation with a post-gravity reading. Temperature and thermodynamics come into play with a post-boil gravity reading, increasing the chance of error in what the starting gravity was. But, you are indeed correct that it could be calculated with a post-boil gravity reading.

For batch sparging, I respectfully disagree that water movement through the grain bed isn't a concern in efficiency. While you do drain the entire mash, water moving past the grain helps extract sugars. If water is moving past some grains faster than others, it's natural that you will extract more sugar from those grains. Over the time of lautering, those grains will be stripped of their sugars while some will still have remaining sugar. When I batch sparged, there were times that some channeling happened. I was just throw caution to the wind and go with it, but I noticed my efficiency would suffer slightly. The point I make is uniformity in draining the grain bed is going to uniformly rinse the grains.

For simplicity's sake, I promote taking a gravity reading pre-boil rather than go through yet another calculation with a post-gravity reading. Temperature and thermodynamics come into play with a post-boil gravity reading, increasing the chance of error in what the starting gravity was.

I agree that it's easier to get an estimate pre-boil. For me it's the volume that's harder to accurately measure than the gravity (I use a refractometer). At the end of the boil you either have to estimate volume while it's still boiling (very error-prone) or while you should be busy doing other things (like chilling your wort).

For batch sparging, I respectfully disagree that water movement through the grain bed isn't a concern in efficiency. While you do drain the entire mash, water moving past the grain helps extract sugars. If water is moving past some grains faster than others, it's natural that you will extract more sugar from those grains. Over the time of lautering, those grains will be stripped of their sugars while some will still have remaining sugar.

Well, I have no trouble getting 85-90% efficiency doing everything "wrong": shallow bed, short hose braid filter, fast lautering. I believe that a thorough stirring of the mash just prior to lautering (which you most definitely cannot do when fly sparging) gives a fairly even sugar concentration throughout the grain bed and minimizes the negative effects of channeling. If differential flow effects efficiency at all, it is certainly minor compared to other factors (like crush and overall sugar concentration).

Bringing this back up because it contains some great information. I brewed last weekend (second all grain batch with new equipment) and got poorer efficiency than I was expecting. I'm here now trying to dissect my problems. This post helped immensely. It's not so much that I want my efficiency to be as high as possible, as it is that I want to use a consistent process to get consistent and predictable efficiency from each and every batch I make. I realize that my efficiency will always fall within a range, and will be lower with higher gravity grain bills, but it's the predictability that I am seeking.

Thanks Texasbrewer73!

I am of the opinion that people shouldn’t worry about aiming for efficiencies higher than 80%. The savings you would see at the scale of a homebrewer are miniscule. High efficiencies are great for breweries where it can be very cost effective to get every bit of sugar out of their grains.

VERY nice write up, I enjoyed the read. But, you could have stopped here. It really just makes no sense, I mean none at all, to even think about it. You won't ever be producing beer with your home system at commercial scale so why worry about it? Sure, you might save cents on every batch but who cares?

I am glad someone posted to this thread and brought it back to life.

Some very good stuff in here in a nice concise format.

Definitely should be a sticky. Awesome!! Texasbrewer73, thank you so much for taking the time to make this thorough write-up and respond to the replies.

I'm relatively new and like many others I've been consistently under my OG target. I have a 4 gal brew pot which means I'm forced into PM (3-3.5 gal) boils for 5 gal batches. I also do BIAB in an igloo cooler for mashing without any special sparging equipment. These are the ideas I'm gonna try to increase OG. Comments are welcome.
1. Better control mash temp (I've been running high using BeerSmith recommendations)
2. Stir before dispensing first wort after mash (as recommended in first post)
3. Recycle wort through grains at least once (batch sparge)
4. Pour additional sparge water to fill a second smaller (2 gal) boil pot. As hops will be boiled in primary boil pot, the second should only need a short boil.
5. Use additional sparging to top off boil pots as they boil down.

This is what I think I can do without buying more equipment.

I'm relatively new and like many others I've been consistently under my OG target. I have a 4 gal brew pot which means I'm forced into PM (3-3.5 gal) boils for 5 gal batches. I also do BIAB in an igloo cooler for mashing without any special sparging equipment. These are the ideas I'm gonna try to increase OG. Comments are welcome.
1. Better control mash temp (I've been running high using BeerSmith recommendations)
2. Stir before dispensing first wort after mash (as recommended in first post)
3. Recycle wort through grains at least once (batch sparge)
4. Pour additional sparge water to fill a second smaller (2 gal) boil pot. As hops will be boiled in primary boil pot, the second should only need a short boil.
5. Use additional sparging to top off boil pots as they boil down.

This is what I think I can do without buying more equipment.

1. How high were your mash temps? If too high, you will rapidly denature the amylase enzymes that convert starch to sugar, and really hurt your efficiency.

3. Sparging is done with fresh water, not wort.

You didn't mention anything about grain crush. This is usually one of the biggest factors in efficiency for BIAB. If you don't have your own mill, get your grains double crushed. If you have your own mill, tighten it up for finer particle size.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for responding, Doug. Strike water was arond 170 resulting in mash temp of 154. wrt to sparging, I thought I'd seen references to recycling the wort through the mash at least to help clarify it. I'm not so much interested in clarity as I am in getting the OG up. I don't have my own mill (still accumulating equipment) but this may be a motivator in moving it up the priority list.

Thanks for responding, Doug. Strike water was arond 170 resulting in mash temp of 154. wrt to sparging, I thought I'd seen references to recycling the wort through the mash at least to help clarify it. I'm not so much interested in clarity as I am in getting the OG up. I don't have my own mill (still accumulating equipment) but this may be a motivator in moving it up the priority list.

Ok, your mash doesn't appear hot enough to denature the enzymes, so that is not what is causing your lower than desired efficiency.

Traditional 3 vessel brewers usually recirculate a small amount of wort back thru the mash bed to filter grain bits out of the wort. This is called vorlaufing. Volume recirculated is normally a few quarts to a couple of gallons. Once the grain bits are removed from the volume below the grain bed, the grain bed acts as a filter to keep any more grain bits out of the wort being run off.

Some people recirculate during the mash, in combination with mash heating, in order to maintain a constant mash temperature and make step mashing easier. This may increase the speed and degree of completion (conversion efficiency) of saccharification somewhat, but should not affect lautering efficiency.

Sparging is using fresh water to rinse additional sugars from the wort after wort has been removed from the mash. Since sparging removes additional sugar from the mash, it increases the lautering efficiency.

Mash efficiency = conversion efficiency times lautering efficiency.

How long is your boil? If you boil to target OG and then add 3 gal water, you're essentially diluting your wort. Go buy a 7 gal aluminum pot at your local Big box HI stored for @$30-$40. Brewing full batches makes it easier to hit targets.

I had never heard about stirring the mash multiple times during the mashing process. In my vast experience (2 all grain batches) I have only stirred the mash when adding strike water and then again when adding the sparge water. Admittedly, my efficiency has been low. (Hence, reading this thread trying to diagnose the problem.) How many points can I expect to pick up by stirring at mash addition, stirring prior to draining first running and say twice in between? Trying to figure out if a lack of stirring is the only culprit or do I have to continue hunting for other contributing culprits. Also, how long would you wait after the last stir before draining the first runnings?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

I had never heard about stirring the mash multiple times during the mashing process. In my vast experience (2 all grain batches) I have only stirred the mash when adding strike water and then again when adding the sparge water. Admittedly, my efficiency has been low. (Hence, reading this thread trying to diagnose the problem.) How many points can I expect to pick up by stirring at mash addition, stirring prior to draining first running and say twice in between? Trying to figure out if a lack of stirring is the only culprit or do I have to continue hunting for other contributing culprits. Also, how long would you wait after the last stir before draining the first runnings?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

You should as a minimum:
  • Stir well at dough in
  • Stir well prior to initial run-off
  • Stir well when adding sparge water
No need to wait prior to run-off after the stir is complete.

Batch sparge is pretty simple to get optimal results with. If your efficiencies are still low after getting good sparge practices down, then your problem is probably with incomplete saccharification (starch to sugar conversion.) You can improve conversion efficiency by extending your mash time, and/or crushing finer (smaller grain particles convert faster.)

Hard to say precisely how many points you would gain by stirring - too many factors to weigh in. Personally, I stir every 10-15 minutes, even with a HERMS re-circulation. Just make sure the mash has 10-15 minutes to settle before sparging. Also check your crush - that is a common culprit as well. If your LHBS will allow, run your grain through the mill twice. If you are trying to figure out exactly what impact everything has on your efficiency, make one change, then brew, and repeat. Otherwise, make a few changes and brew.

It's important to know that at the homebrew level, many times it is cheaper and less time consuming to just buy more grain to overcome low extraction rate. Meaning - it can be inefficient to become more efficient. So long as you are measuring correctly and getting consistent results, lower than calculated pre-boil gravity (Original Gravity) is easy to overcome with some simple changes in process and/or a couple dollar's worth of extra grain.

There are a lot of variables, but I would say that stirring should get you from the seventies to the mid 80s. I fly sparge and usually stir just once, preferably around 25 minutes in.

I just want to say thanks for this post. I was struggling with efficiency and consistency and this post came at the perfect time. Over the last 3 brews I've gone from a 63% to 83% efficiency by following your advice. The things that improved my efficiency the most are as follows:

1. Got my crush down to a not-too-fine/not-too-coarse crush (.030 for my setup)
2. Started mashing at 1.75qt/lb
3. More stirring during mash-in and prior to sparging
4. Finding the "correct" lauter rate for my setup.

I am finally hitting or exceeding my gravities based on 70% brewhouse efficiency and I owe a lot of that success to this thread.

Thanks,
-Greg

I’ve seen a number of threads with brewers asking how they can improve their mashing efficiency so I thought I’d create a thread with some things to consider when trying to improve your efficiency.

To start, I sometimes interpret people thinking efficiency relates to the quality of their beer. This is not the case. Efficiency refers to how much fermentable sugar you are getting from your grains as compared to what the maximum possible yield is (theoretically). I am of the opinion that people shouldn’t worry about aiming for efficiencies higher than 80%. The savings you would see at the scale of a homebrewer are miniscule. High efficiencies are great for breweries where it can be very cost effective to get every bit of sugar out of their grains.

Ultimately, efficiency is a personal preference. Some are happy with 55-60% and others get >80% and want to gain another couple of points. It’s all up to you. If you are happy with your results, keep doing what you’re doing and don’t feel like you have to achieve a higher efficiency just because others are attaining those levels. One final general note – efficiency is also a factor on how to adjust your grain bill. If you are using a recipe, people generally include what efficiency the recipe is designed to produce the results. It’s important to adjust your grain bill accordingly to achieve the same results as the recipe intended.

Calculation
How you calculate your efficiency is more important than any of the steps following. For measuring efficiency, you must use your pre-boil gravity reading (starting gravity) and compare that to what your maximum yield could be. I’ve read where people with high efficiencies are calculating their gravity with their post boil wort (original gravity). It's pretty easy to gain efficiency points that way, but it's inaccurate. Original gravity and final gravity are used for calculating the ABV. With your starting gravity, there are a number of websites that have calculators whereby you enter grain bill and then your starting gravity. So long as the method has each of your specific grains, most seem pretty reliable. Make sure your volume measurements correct. Make sure you read your hydrometer or refractometer correctly. Ensure you measuring devices are calibrated. Take good measurements. No matter what you do to improve your efficiency, it's only as good as the measurements you take.

Equipment
Mashtun equipment can play a large factor into your efficiency. Using too large of a mashtun will result in a shorter grain bed. Shorter grain bed will reduce your efficiency. If using a cooler, consider getting a smaller cooler. If you do different size batches (i.e. sometimes 5 gal, sometimes 10), considering getting a second smaller cooler for your smaller batches. Also, fly sparging is far more difficult in a rectangular cooler than a round cooler because the grain bed will not rinse as evenly. Your filtering mechanism plays a smaller role as well. If you are using a manifold filter, consider changing up your design. Perhaps what seems like a good design may create dead spots and does not allow wort to move through the grain bed efficiently. If you are using a braided hose, how do you have it in your mash tun? When lautering, wort is looking for the path of least resistance to get out. A coiled up braided hose doesn’t offer much area space that really provides for a good lauter. John Palmer does a great job of explaining the problems with some designs in his “How to Brew” book. Read it. Know it.

Process
I’m a big believer that process is the biggest factor in gaining efficiency, sans an incredibly poor grain crush. There are more variables involved with your process than equipment or grain crush combined.

Mashing
Stirring at the beginning and end of a mash is essential. In the beginning, it distributes the water evenly through the grain and prevents so-called dough balls from forming. At the end of the mash it allows for the grains and water to be agitated one last time. In between, the length and frequency of stirring varies from one person to the next. Choose the method that gives you the best results. Stir more frequently if you are only stirring once or twice during a mash. If you can stir less frequently and still achieve the same numbers, then do so and keep the heat in your mash tun. If you are doing a recirculation mash, look for channeling – some areas may not be re-circulating as well as others. Also, I’ve seen a number of ways to bring the wort back into your tun. Some have a tube going into the mash. I’ve seen manifolds that distribute the mash akin to a sparge arm. I’ve seen some that re-purpose the sparge arm for this. Re-circulating at a fast rate can cause the mash to only run through a portion of your mash. The manifold/sparge arm work best for me and yields a more consistent recirculation.

Sparging
Without debating the merits of batch sparging vs. fly sparging, suffice to say that both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. Whichever method you choose, remember that the point of sparging is to rinse the grain bed. If fly sparging, maintain a consistent level of water above the grain bed – this keeps the water moving through the grain bed at a consistent rate. As mentioned above, fly sparging isn’t a good method for rectangular coolers. If you are using a rectangular cooler and want to keep it, consider batch sparging instead. If batch sparging, keep an eye out for channeling. That’s a good indicator some grains aren’t getting rinsed as well as others. Additionally, make sure that your sparge water volume calculations are correct. If you are sparging too much water, you’re leaving sugar behind.

Mashout
Some will say that mashing out serves no merit anymore to the home brewer. Some swear by it. For me, I swear by it. Aside from what it does to the quality of your wort by ending the enzymatic functions, a mashout infusion provides more liquid to your mash to help capture the sugars with stirring (at least for non-direct fired mash tuns and non-decoction mashing). Additionally, raising the temperature of the mash will increase the solubility of sugars.

Lautering
From my experience, lauter rate is the single most effective way to increase or decrease efficiency in your system. Too slow, and the wort isn’t moving through the grain bed fast enough to effectively rinse the grain (not to mention is gives plenty of time for tannin extraction). Too fast and the wort doesn’t have a chance to be in contact with the grain long enough. You will also increase your chance of channeling. While there is no single rate that works for everyone with every type of setup, I’ve found that a general rule of thumb is about a quart a minute to a minute 20 seconds (15-20 seconds per cup). This can vary depending on your eqpt and your recipe. Though some say a slow lauter will always be better, I believe there is a point of diminishing returns.

Grain Crush
The second single most effective way to enhance your efficiency is with your grain crush. It’s hard to just compare a picture online of one’s grain crush and say “Yep – looks good to me”. Assuming all other things in your brew system are dialed in and have been honed to your liking (and your beer’s liking), a low efficiency could simply be your crush. Whether you buy a mill and crush your own grain or buy from a retailer already crushed, look at your grain. There should be very few grains still intact (not to be confused with grain husks). If that is not the case, run the grain through the mill a second time. If you are using your own grain mill, dial in the rollers a notch and run the grain through again. I think of the grain as balance – most should be decent sized chunks of a piece of grain in sizes roughly ½ to 1/3 the size of a whole kernel. There will be some flour and there will be a few uncrushed grains. Too much uncrushed, mill again. Too much flour, add rice hulls and carry on.

Mash pH and Water
This isn’t terribly common, but if your mash pH ranges swing too high or low, this too can affect your efficiency. Without getting into water chemistry too much, do what’s needed to be done to get your water in the mid 5’s (I aim for 5.4 and monitor it if I’m not familiar with the recipe or it’s something that I’m just unsure of the calculated results). Also, pay attention to your water source's Calcium (Ca) levels. Proper levels promote enzyme activity and liveliness, thus contributing to greater conversion. Shoot for Ca levels around 100 ppm.

Conclusion
This is meant to be a guideline to look at the many things that will help you get more fermentable sugar from your grain. It’s by no means all encompassing and is intended to be at the macro level. There are a number of reasons why efficiencies can be low. The main thing is to measure well, try different techniques and, if your budget allows, try different equipment. As I said before, efficiency isn’t something we should try to obtain the highest amount of. Your results should just be to your liking. At the end of it all, you’ll still be making beer. And that’s a good thing.
Im having 54% mash efficiency, using beer smith. i batch sparge in a rectangular cooler with braid and mill the grain with a manual mill. My grain bill is 16 pounds and im ending my mash/sparge with 6.35 gal and 1.051 gravity. Having a 71% mash efficiency in beer smith tells me that my OG gravity should be 1.083 and im ending with a 1.064.
My problem is the mash efficiency. Could be the milling or the braid?????
i will apreciatte to know

Im having 54% mash efficiency, using beer smith. i batch sparge in a rectangular cooler with braid and mill the grain with a manual mill. My grain bill is 16 pounds and im ending my mash/sparge with 6.35 gal and 1.051 gravity. Having a 71% mash efficiency in beer smith tells me that my OG gravity should be 1.083 and im ending with a 1.064.

1) Make sure your grain crush is thorough. Run the grist through multiple times if you can't achieve the objectives posted on the first pass.

2) Unless your rectangular cooler has a favorable pitch towards the bulkhead, it is likely you're seeing some channeling. Make sure you stir the mash adequately (and vorlauf well) between sparge charges.

3) A braided hose isn't ideal for a rectangular mash tun. There are simple and inexpensive DIY builds for rectangular cooler mash tuns.

http://howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

Your mash efficiency is comprised of two factors: conversion efficiency and lauter efficiency.
Mash_Efficiency = Conversion_Efficiency * Lauter_Efficiency​
Conversion efficiency is the percentage of starch in the grain that you convert to sugar during the mash. Lauter efficiency is the percentage of the sugar created during the mash that actually gets transfered to the boil kettle.

Conversion efficiency is affected by the following variables:
  • Temperature: Conversion rate is faster at higher temperatures. However, if the temps are too high, then the amylase enzymes get denatured (stop working), and conversion stops. Beta amylase gets denatured at lower temperatures than alpha amylase. Beta denatures rapidly above 150°F, and alpha above 162°F. So going to higher temps is not a good strategy for improving conversion efficiency.
  • Time: Longer times allow more conversion to complete, as long as there are starch and amylase enzymes available.
  • Crush Size: Smaller particles convert faster than larger particles because of diffusion effects. You can compensate for coarser crush by mashing for longer times.
  • Mash Thickness (water to grain ratio): Thinner mashes (more water) convert faster than thicker mashes, so will complete faster. Thicker mashes need more time to achieve the same level of conversion as thinner mashes, all else being equal.
  • pH: If pH is too high or too low, then conversion rates can slow down, and max achievable conversion can also be decreased. Keep your mash pH in the 5.2 to 5.7 range for best results.
  • Agitation: Agitation (frequent stirring or recirculation) can short circuit some of the diffusion limited processes, and speed up the conversion process.

Lauter efficiency is affected by the following variables:
  • Process (fly or batch): A well conducted fly sparge will provide better efficiency than a well conducted batch sparge. However, a well conducted batch sparge can provide better efficiency than a less well conducted fly sparge. Lauter tun design will affect this as well.
  • Wort Retained in the MLT: Wort can be retained either due to grain absorption or undrainable volume. Both cause sugar to be held out of the BK, thus lowering efficiency.
  • Stirring (prior to run-off). This is primarily important for batch sparging. Maximum efficiency is obtained when the wort has a uniform sugar concentration throughout the mash prior to run-off. Stirring well can insure uniformity.
  • Amount of Sparge Water: This gets complicated, but is not usually the problem when efficiency is very low.

Now for some specifics to help your specific issues: When mash efficiency is very low (like yours), conversion efficiency is almost always a big part of the problem. You should look at using a finer crush, and/or extending your mash time in order to increase the percentage of starch converted.

You may also be having lauter efficiency issues. One of the biggest culprits here is undrainable MLT volume (there isn't a lot you can easily do to significantly decrease grain absorption in a traditional MLT.) Ideally the undrainable volume should be less than a pint. You can measure your undrainable volume by filling your MLT with about 2" of water, draining the same way you do as when brewing, and then measuring the amount of water remaining after draining. The braid on the drain is not likely part of your problem, as channeling is not a concern when batch sparging. You do want to make sure your mash is well stirred prior to each run-off. You should stir and then vorlauf (not the other way around.) Stir for about 5 minutes after each sparge water addition.

1) Make sure your grain crush is thorough. Run the grist through multiple times if you can't achieve the objectives posted on the first pass.

2) Unless your rectangular cooler has a favorable pitch towards the bulkhead, it is likely you're seeing some channeling. Make sure you stir the mash adequately (and vorlauf well) between sparge charges.

3) A braided hose isn't ideal for a rectangular mash tun. There are simple and inexpensive DIY builds for rectangular cooler mash tuns.

http://howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

Thanks a lot! I think that the channeling is my problem and the spargin! Cheers

Thanks a lot! I think that the channeling is my problem and the spargin! Cheers

No, channeling is not your problem. You are batch sparging, and batch sparging is not affected by channeling.

Your biggest problem with efficiency is incomplete starch to sugar conversion. You should crush your grain finer and/or mash for a longer time in order to get more conversion.

Your batch sparging technique may be a secondary contributor to your low efficiency, but that would be due to inadequate stirring before run-offs and/or too much undrainable volume in your MLT.

Reread my post above that explains efficiency in more detail.

If you can provide your strike water volume and sparge water volume, I can use those (along with your grain bill [16 lbs], pre-boil volume [6.35 gal], and pre-boil SG [1.051]) to estimate both your conversion efficiency and lauter efficiency.

No, channeling is not your problem. You are batch sparging, and batch sparging is not affected by channeling.

Your biggest problem with efficiency is incomplete starch to sugar conversion. You should crush your grain finer and/or mash for a longer time in order to get more conversion.

Your batch sparging technique may be a secondary contributor to your low efficiency, but that would be due to inadequate stirring before run-offs and/or too much undrainable volume in your MLT.

Reread my post above that explains efficiency in more detail.

If you can provide your strike water volume and sparge water volume, I can use those (along with your grain bill [16 lbs], pre-boil volume [6.35 gal], and pre-boil SG [1.051]) to estimate both your conversion efficiency and lauter efficiency.

Thanks for your messages. First of all, i wanna say its my first time writing on a beer blog, Im from Ecuador and as you know english is my second language, thats why sometimes y misunderstood some things. I thought channeling was a big undrainable volume in my MLT, but then i realize it was other thing.

After reading the posts for my request, im almost sure that my problem is my UNDRAiNABLE VOLUME in my MLT which is 0.92 gal.
My recipe:
Pale Malt (weyernman): 13 Lb
Crystal Patagonia 75 EBC: 2 lb
Pilsner Patagonia: 1 lb

I used:
Start water volume: 5.92 gal
Strike water temperature: 71 C
Mash temperature with grains: 65 C for 60 minutes

sparge
Start water volume: 2.87 gal
Strike water temperature: 75 c
sparge temperature with grains: 63 C : ( we'll i think this was too low too???)

Im using a gravity system. HLT and mash tun.
Actually, i stirred 3 times for about 1 minute, at 60 min, 30 min and before draining.

Thanks a lot buddy, cheers

Thanks for your messages. First of all, i wanna say its my first time writing on a beer blog, Im from Ecuador and as you know english is my second language, thats why sometimes y misunderstood some things. I thought channeling was a big undrainable volume in my MLT, but then i realize it was other thing.

After reading the posts for my request, im almost sure that my problem is my UNDRAiNABLE VOLUME in my MLT which is 0.92 gal.
My recipe:
Pale Malt (weyernman): 13 Lb
Crystal Patagonia 75 EBC: 2 lb
Pilsner Patagonia: 1 lb

I used:
Start water volume: 5.92 gal
Strike water temperature: 71 C
Mash temperature with grains: 65 C for 60 minutes

sparge
Start water volume: 2.87 gal
Strike water temperature: 75 c
sparge temperature with grains: 63 C : ( we'll i think this was too low too???)

Im using a gravity system. HLT and mash tun.
Actually, i stirred 3 times for about 1 minute, at 60 min, 30 min and before draining.

Thanks a lot buddy, cheers

Ok, I ran your numbers in the simulator, and in order to come out with a pre-boil gravity of 1.051, your conversion efficiency had to have been about 75% - 76%, which is pretty low. Your lauter efficiency wasn't too bad, but you could pick up about 6 percentage points in lauter efficiency by reducing your MLT undrainable volume to 0.125 gal (a little less than half a liter.) So, you really need to work on your conversion efficiency by concentrating on the factors in my earlier post. With a good mash process it's possible to get conversion efficiencies of 95% or better. If you get your undrainable volume down, and your conversion efficiency up, you could achieve 74% - 75% mash efficiency, and a pre-boil SG of about 1.068 with your 16lb grain bill.

I batch sparge in a 10 gallon round cooler and I've gotten worse and worse efficiently lately. It got to a point where I finally got fed up with the decline (it went all the way down to 60%) and decided to purchase a Barley Crusher. Seeing as nothing else in my process had changed, I contributed this decline to the mill the brew store offers. I've even double milled as of late.

To quote the first post "The second single most effective way to enhance your efficiency is with your grain crush."

While I've believed this to be true, simply because similar statements have being regurgitated all over the place for so long, I've also been sceptical to the major impact it is said to have. The LHBS should after all know their equipment and adjust it accordingly.

So here I am, 2 batches later where I've used my new mill....and holy cow. The results are overwhelming almost. On both of these batches, I'm at a constant 83%. The last 3 batches I did ended up hovering around low 60%.

Long story short, I just wanted say hello and join the regurgitation party. Buying a mill is highly recommended and clearly: "The second single most effective way to enhance your efficiency is with your grain crush".

I wish I had bought it long time ago.

I batch sparge in a 10 gallon round cooler and I've gotten worse and worse efficiently lately. It got to a point where I finally got fed up with the decline (it went all the way down to 60%) and decided to purchase a Barley Crusher. Seeing as nothing else in my process had changed, I contributed this decline to the mill the brew store offers. I've even double milled as of late.

To quote the first post "The second single most effective way to enhance your efficiency is with your grain crush."

While I've believed this to be true, simply because similar statements have being regurgitated all over the place for so long, I've also been sceptical to the major impact it is said to have. The LHBS should after all know their equipment and adjust it accordingly.

So here I am, 2 batches later where I've used my new mill....and holy cow. The results are overwhelming almost. On both of these batches, I'm at a constant 83%. The last 3 batches I did ended up hovering around low 60%.

Long story short, I just wanted say hello and join the regurgitation party. Buying a mill is highly recommended and clearly: "The second single most effective way to enhance your efficiency is with your grain crush".

I wish I had bought it long time ago.

LHBS isn't in the business for your maximum efficiency, they're much rather widen the mill gap slightly to 1) Avoid stuck sparges (ie very upset customers) and 2) Increase grains sales slightly).

Also the mill may have become loose and widen slightly without them noticing.

95% of the time it's the crush. The other 5% of the time, something weird is going on and the crush still contributes :)

Back