Stored yeast in unsanitized flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikenbrew75

Reaction score
Weeks ago I stored some yeast out of 2 primary fermenters and forgot to sanitize the flask. It has been at room temp and sealed since then, but, I'm now worried that the yeast is no good. Should I worry about this?

If you use it you're basically playing Russian Ru let. Even though it could be just fine, I wouldn't take the chance with precious brew.

That's kind if what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

I'm brewing up 10 gallons of porter today and only have one vial of yeast. I'll just pitch half of the starter in each carboy today and buy another vial tomorrow.

I would have no problem using the current generation of yeast from those jars, I would not re-harvest from that batch of beer, however.

Using sanitized jars for storing washed yeast is always, no matter how clean you think you are, a "dirty" process. Using an unsanitized jar might add 25-50% more contamination than normal, but not anything serious.

Back