Rush Bottling for Sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasbrew

Reaction score
I'm wanting to enter a 1.5 year old Flanders Red into a local comp. but I only have two weeks max until the entries are due! I've bottle conditioned my sours before but never dared to test for carbonation within two weeks...any way I can pull this off? Re-yeasting with champagne yeast perhaps?

My fall back is to keg, force-carb, and devote a picnic tap to sours from that point on.

Trying to bottle condition this beer in two weeks will be a waste of beer that you've taken so long to make. It's not that it won't neccesarily be carbonated by then, but with the possibility for bottle shock or ropiness kicking back up if it has pedio or just that it won't be conditioned, I'd consider that to be too many possible problems
I think entering it in a comp at all is probably a waste of beer, but if you are going to, force carbing is your only option.

I've got a nice pipeline of sours so I'm not worried about wasting 24 oz in the big scheme of things, I'm more interested in legitimate feedback of my Flanders.

hasbrew said:
I've got a nice pipeline of sours so I'm not worried about wasting 24 oz in the big scheme of things, I'm more interested in legitimate feedback of my Flanders.
Bottle condition it when it's ready and send me one. Wasting good beer on comps is always a shame, no matter how much you have. ;) I can fill out a bjcp sheet for you if you like. I've been drinking Flanders reds since before Palm bought rodenbach. About to pop an '02 oerbier reserva. I feel like I know the style pretty well. :)

Force carb is the best way to go if you want it ready in 2 weeks.

I don't see why you have to dedicate a tap to sours just because you used it on one. You should be able to clean it up. If for some reason it did get some bugs taking up permanent residence, they do take a long time to affect a beer when there is alcohol in it.

Calder said:
Force carb is the best way to go if you want it ready in 2 weeks. I don't see why you have to dedicate a tap to sours just because you used it on one. You should be able to clean it up. If for some reason it did get some bugs taking up permanent residence, they do take a long time to affect a beer when there is alcohol in it.

^ This. Plus plastic beer line is super cheap to replace. Every thing else should be able to be sanitized with boiling water. And don't worry about the picnic tap. I bet dollars to doughnuts that the picnic tap has bugs already living in it. I'd go the force carb method instead of bottle conditioning, given your timeframe.

Back