Grain crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastrega

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a cheap grain crusher or DIY project I can use for small 5 gallon beer making.

Yep. It's called a gallon ziplock bag and a rolling pin. You should be able to crack your grains and get a fairly decent crush by using a rolling pin. Remember, you just want your grains cracked open and coarsely crushed. If the grains are too fine, you'll wind up with a stuck sparge and/or lousy efficiency.

If you are wanting to crush grain yourself for cheap a Corona mill is probably your best bet, but until I got a MonsterMill I just had my LHBS crush it for free.

Pasta mill/ Polyclay press. Same thing. Use an online coupon and get if from hobby lobby or Michaels for less than 20 bucks. Use a drill jammed into the crack to scour the rollers and give it grip. I used a piece of HVAC ducting as a hopper and attached to a piece of wood that I cut out with a jigsaw. It fits nicely over a 5-gallon bucket and I use a spade bit on a drill to turn it. Adjustable and can crack 10lbs grain in about 10 minutes.

Back