Overnight Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
I'm brewing a belgian tripel and i wanted to start my mash before i leave for work at 630 and sparge and brew when i get back at 5pm is this reasonable or will it thin/sour the wort? Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't do it myself, unless you have a way to keep it at 150+ deg the entire time. Even then I would think it would start to rot. Just set up your system before you leave and when you get home mash in.
JJ

A little sour could be fantastic in that beer though!
I let my sour peach ale sit for 18 hours AFTER the mash....intentionally cooled to 120 then added back 8 oz of 2 row. It's lactic as hell, but I'd figure that the 12 hours @ mash temps (declining with time) and no sours of Lactic bacteria....should only be ever so slightly sour....fit right in with the Belgian.

I did my first overnight mash yesterday. A big 8% Irish Red for St. Pats 2009. I mashed in 11pm on Thursday and started the sparge between 6-7am Friday morning.

I do 10 gallon batches in a standard Home Depot 10 gallon Igloo round cooler. It only lost 4 degrees overnight left indoors at room temperature (154 down to 150). I draped an old sleeping bag around the top and sides.

Here's the upside to an overnight mash, IMHO with just one overnight batch under my belt:

* OG about 6-8 points higher than identical recipe done three times in the past with 60-90 minute mash
* No difference in color, flavor, or mouthfeel
* Quck clear vorloff
* Ability to mash a second batch when the overnight batch is in the kettle the following morning, if desired.
* Consider decreasing the heavy roasted grains (black patent, carafa II, etc) a bit to decrease the chance of extra astringency developing
* With a 60-90 minute boil, plan to be done and cleaned up by 10:30am. Sweet!

This will be a great option for brewing in the summer when I want to avoid standing over the kettle in the middle of a hot day.

I have split brew days up many times....

Mash, lauter and sparge on one day...

Boil, hop, cool and pitch the next.

It's still beer....

Latest posts

Back