Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it. You want a grain or extract recipe? :D

Give me a few minutes so I can translate it into English for you...

I can't explain the differences in the alcohol content.

Gose aus Goslar

This mash brewing recipe refers to 20 liters of finished beer. The data concerning spice, hop-bitter, beer colors and alcohol content correspond to the original beers.

(Nach einem Rezept von Andreas Wagenführer, Goslar) A recipe from Andreas Wagenfuhrer, Goslar.

Yeast (Hefe): obergärig (top fermenting)
Hop Bitterness: 32 EBU
Color: 8 EBC
Alcohol: 3,5%
500 g Pilsner malt
4500 g light Wheat malt
200 g Sauer malt
Infusion mash:
Mash start 51C
1st rest: 20 mins at 51C
2nd rest: 30 mins at 65C
3rd rest: 45 mins at 72C
Mash end at 76C
Boil time: 120 mins.
Bittering:
65 g Aroma hops (6.0%) in 3 stages:
22 g at mash start
20 g a beginning of boil
23 g at 60 mins into boil

Extract version:

Yeast (Hefe): obergärig (top fermenting)
Hop Bitterness: 32 EBU
Color: 8 EBC
Alcohol: 4.9% ABV
2900 g Light Wheat Extract
300 g Extra Light DME
200 g Sauer malt
Boil time: 120 mins.
Bittering:
65 g Aroma hops (6.0%):
42 g at beginning of boil
23 g at 60 mins into boil

Dieses Rezept entstammt dem Buch „Bier selbst gebraut“ von Klaus Kling)" This recipe is from the book
Self Brewed Beer, by Klaus Kling

This is interesting. I'm thinking of brewing a Gose with the Wyeast 3191 Berliner Weiss I have. Since I am an extract brewer at this point I'm very curious about the sour malt. Where exactly do you find sour malt extract? Also it's interesting that these recipes don't include salt or coriander.

Basically what I was thinking was an faux imprieal berliner weiss with salt and coriander...

something like:

6 lbs Wheat DME either the Briess (60/40 Wheat/Pils) or Mutton (55/45 Wheat/Pils)
1.00 oz Northern Brewer (60 min) Hops
1.00 oz Perle (20 min) Hops
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 oz Sea Salt (Boil 45.0 min)
Wyeast 3191 Berliner Weiss Vss

Maybe even steep some flaked wheat or oats along with some munich before the boil...I have also seen style references suggesting to add the salt and corriander in the whirlpool. I'm guessing the main reason to add them to the boil would be for sanitation (although since I would be introducing lacto and brett how important is sanitation?) I don't know what effect boiling has on salt and coriander or how that may interact with the sugars, starches and alpha acids...

Now I have only tried the Bayerischer Bahnhof Gose and Berliner Weiss but I much perfered the Gose to the Berliner Weiss...

Back